Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Using Tyre Stencils

pab1970
11-02-2013, 09:24 PM
Hi everyone...
I'm new to this forum, although I have been searching through it over the last few months due to my current 1/12 Williams 14WB that I'm doing.

Firstly, I'd like to add that I'm blown away by some of the detail of the builds that have been posted on here os much so, that I have got hold of the 1/12 Mclaren MP4/6 kit to do next.

Some of the builds I've seen have inspired me to take the detailing to the next level, so I bought an Acustation(?) Goodyear tyre stencil kit. I've made the template from the Mclaren parts box, but I can't seem to get a nice clear image on the tyre.

I am just using a spray can (Tamiya T26) at various distances with no luck.

I have a feeling that the response will be to use an airbrush (which I am considering), however, any tips will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Pablo

MarcoSaupe
11-03-2013, 03:06 AM
Hi

you are right, for this type of application airbrush is the way to go, you will get way too much paint from the can.

roymattblack
11-03-2013, 12:57 PM
You can do it with spray cans - I've done it....
BUT.... You really must do it with 5-6 very light mist coats.
The first few coats will look very faint and 'spotty' but as you increase the number of layers, the lettering will look more solid.
The only thing to be aware of is very careful stencil alignment.
I did a set of 1/12 tyres in less than 10 minutes, using a hairdryer on each layer.
BTW.... Use white car primer.
It dries very quickly, matt and dense.

Roy.

Add your comment to this topic!