van hal
10-28-2013, 10:10 PM
how much time to change a thermostat in a 3.4 lt. 2002 impala engine
thanks in advance.

57chevyragtop
10-29-2013, 02:03 PM
how much time to change a thermostat in a 3.4 lt. 2002 impala engine
thanks in advance.

I have done this twice on my 2002 imp 3.4. takes about two hours unless you have some very good offset tools similar to distributor box ends of old 1/2" which might work. You could remove the throttle body which I never tried but now believe this to be the better approach. I always removed the crossover heat shield which is difficult to put back in. You may also experience the nut/studs in rear (2) of this shield breaking from exhaust flange at this age. penetrant best bet. perhaps others will agree with the throttle body method?

rhandwor
11-12-2013, 06:14 AM
I have done this twice on my 2002 imp 3.4. takes about two hours unless you have some very good offset tools similar to distributor box ends of old 1/2" which might work. You could remove the throttle body which I never tried but now believe this to be the better approach. I always removed the crossover heat shield which is difficult to put back in. You may also experience the nut/studs in rear (2) of this shield breaking from exhaust flange at this age. penetrant best bet. perhaps others will agree with the throttle body method?
ATD-3310 search for a picture. or Google GM thermostat wrench for a picture.
Around $16.00 to $30.00 search for a good price.

Tech II
11-12-2013, 12:25 PM
As posted, the easiest way is just remove the throttle body, to get room to get in there....you will need a new throttle body gasket....

Add your comment to this topic!