Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

04 2.2 Manual Transmission Shifter worn out fix

comet240
10-26-2013, 05:05 AM
hi I have a 2004 cav 2.2 engine I been having issues not being able to shift into first gear. I took the center console out and was able to get it into gear if I push the side plastic down further which pushes the shifter rod forward further. But my question is is there a way to repair it am I able to order new parts? In Canada I have to order the entire shift assembly I guess you call it. 327 before the 13 percent taxes. Wanted to know if its possible to fix or if I have to buy a new one. I didn't wanna goto wreckers for this one as the wreckers could be worn out too.

denisond3
12-05-2013, 12:24 PM
I have a 99 with the 5-speed, maybe yours would be the same. If you look at the end of the shifter cables where they attach to the trans, there will be a clamp where the cables are inserted - and one of those cables may have gotten nudged out of the clamp - and there is a small plastic piece that goes between the end of the shifter eyelet, and the 'pin' on the trans. Its pursose is to keep the eyelet on the end of the shifter cable from coming off of the little arm that it moves for shifting. If its missing, it would allow movement where it should not.'
I dont see the cables in the listing at www.rockauto.com, but they are there for my 99 - and the pair of them is $105 plus shipping, and you would need to know which 5-speed transmission your car has. At least you could start with those acdelco parts numnber, and quiz the autoparts places about the cables.

Good Luck

comet240
12-05-2013, 12:39 PM
ah ok ill try and look tomorrow

I can shift it in first gear if I push hard or since I took the center console out

if I push it over and push the side plastic down harder then it slides into first gear easy

so I think the plastic is worn out on the left side of the shifter

comet240
08-06-2014, 08:14 AM
I never did get this thing fixed has anyone figured out how to do this??

I cant see any adjustment for the cables still cant get into first gear smoothly

J-Ri
09-24-2014, 03:35 PM
Mine does the same thing, it doesn't look like there is an easy fix. On mine, if I wiggle the shifter side-to-side, there's about 3/4" of free play and I can see the big plastic pivot ball moves up and down at least 1/8", mostly on the right side, as the left side is attached to the cable and doesn't really move. It appears the plastic is just worn. One thing that makes mine go into first somewhat easily is if I push down fairly hard on the shifter, wiggle it to opposite ends of neutral a few times, then go into second, then go into first.

I had looked at shifters about a year ago when I was planning on replacing it, at that time aftermarket shifters were considerably cheaper and appeared to be higher quality... or at least they weren't plastic.

comet240
09-25-2014, 08:05 AM
same here I pushed down on the plastic part and it shifts in easier, who makes after market parts as in Canada my places I goto all said dealer. I asked at the dealer,
it was 375 or 475 I cant remember now but I was like frig and who knows if that fixes it as I don't even know if itt comes with the cables too

J-Ri
09-30-2014, 12:55 AM
Do a search for "04 cavalier shifter", lots of results. This is the first one that came up, but I think we'll need one that comes with the part that goes around the ball also. I imagine it's worn as well. http://www.amazon.com/00-04-Chevy-Cavalier-Sport-Shifter/dp/B0058VB8CU

I would be surprised if the GM part came with cables.

Add your comment to this topic!