Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

B16B buildup questions

Ricochet
06-13-2003, 02:35 PM
I need some help gaining power in my CTR engine swap. This is a daily driver and I already have i/h/e. Will a pulley fit on this engine from my DX? Does anybody have experience working on these engines?

mellowboy
06-19-2003, 07:17 PM
What u want the pulley from the dx? If you want more power. I'd say you get some more agressive cams (something like skunk2 stage 2 cams!) along with cam gears and skunk2 manifold. Chip your ecu with either mugen, spoon, jun or skunk. Pretty decent set up rite there.

Ricochet
06-21-2003, 05:52 PM
I want the pulley from my old D16 because it's an aftermarket one from Unorthadox Racing, weighing way less than the stock one. Cost me $200 too...

jcrx
06-21-2003, 06:28 PM
Keep your CTR onr, it is balanced from the factory and already a common upgrade that people look for. If you want more ower it is going to cost you, since the B16B is already a hell of a N/A motor. Like mentioned above you can get into some cams, or break it open and up the piston. Though Spoon has an "engine repair" that stroke it to 1800cc

http://www.modacar.com/products/Honda/Civic/MODAENK/

B16EJ1
06-21-2003, 06:43 PM
Bump your c/r even higher w/ a Mugen head gasket and work the head.
As already mentioned, a stroker kit would'nt hurt.

Ricochet
06-21-2003, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by jcrx
Keep your CTR onr, it is balanced from the factory and already a common upgrade that people look for. If you want more ower it is going to cost you, since the B16B is already a hell of a N/A motor. Like mentioned above you can get into some cams, or break it open and up the piston. Though Spoon has an "engine repair" that stroke it to 1800cc

http://www.modacar.com/products/Honda/Civic/MODAENK/
wow, $1169 doesn't seem too bad for all that. What kind of power gains will I see by raising the c/r from 10.8 to 11.3?

I like how they call it an "engine repair" kit lol

mellowboy
06-21-2003, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by Ricochet

. What kind of power gains will I see by raising the c/r from 10.8 to 11.3?

Not very big but its still not bad. I'd go higher like 11:8 or go 12:1 and u can still use pump gus but u might just have to advance the timing just a bit to run it safely.

Ricochet
06-23-2003, 09:40 AM
Do you think it's worth the $1,200?

jcrx
06-23-2003, 11:46 AM
Do you think it's worth the $1,200?
Since you're not just raising compression, you would be stroking it almost 200cc yes that is a good price, and I would think it is a misprint stock replacments of those parts alone would cost a lot more.

EDIT: I just got off the phone with Modacar and the price is correct, so if you have a B16B and are looking for more power and can rebuild, that is a damn good price for headgasket, pistons, rods, rings, wrist pins, and a crank, all fully balanced, and a stroker to boot.

Ricochet
06-23-2003, 12:01 PM
I'd love to but now I'm eating grubs for lunch because of the engine cost alone... heh..:frown:

mellowboy
06-23-2003, 12:09 PM
I'd love to but now I'm eating grubs for lunch because of the engine cost alone... heh..:frown:

Well thats what happens when you chose the ctr motor when u could've gone with gsr...its a 1.8 ltr more torque and cheaper!:smile:

Ricochet
06-23-2003, 12:14 PM
I called for a gsr initially, but hmotorsonline only had an '01 costing $4k, which is exactly what I paid for the b16b. Which would you choose if they costed the same? I needed an engine asap also, that's why I couldn't wait for them to restock.

jcrx
06-23-2003, 12:20 PM
If I was in that position I would have done the same thing. But it's a trade off. IMO the B16B is a better motor, but the GSR displaces more.

Ricochet
06-23-2003, 12:25 PM
The gsr would have been more because I would need mounts also, so there's another $400-$600 from hasports. Plus I already have a header and exhaust, which will match up to the engine perfectly, so yeah, I did choose the right engine. I ended up going through www.Inlinefour.com to get it.

mellowboy
06-23-2003, 12:27 PM
I would've chosen the gsr still. Maybe not for 4k but i'm pretty sure you can get one for 2400. If i was in your position yeh i'd choose the gsr over that 1.6 ltr. Like Jcrx said cause of the displacements.

jcrx
06-23-2003, 12:31 PM
The gsr would have been more because I would need mounts also, so there's another $400-$600 from hasports.
No you wouldn't have, B series into 92+ Civics use a combination of stock mounts.

Ricochet
06-23-2003, 12:36 PM
I told you I needed an engine asap and couldn't find a b18 anywhere. I tried adrperformance, hmo, inlinefour, and 3-4 more other sites sitting on a piece of paper at home. My $400 header and $550 exhaust fit on it (they're from an Si, and they fit on D16's too) so instead of buying a slightly cheaper motor I bought the one which drops right in, no hasport mounts needed, no nothing. It should be about a 10 hour job.

mellowboy
06-23-2003, 12:38 PM
I told you I needed an engine asap and couldn't find a b18 anywhere. I tried adrperformance, hmo, inlinefour, and 3-4 more other sites sitting on a piece of paper at home. My $400 header and $550 exhaust fit on it (they're from an Si, and they fit on D16's too) so instead of buying a slightly cheaper motor I bought the one which drops right in, no hasport mounts needed, no nothing. It should be about a 10 hour job.

Gsr , type r all b-series is a str8 drop in. The header for d-series will not fit on a b-series. The exhaust will but not header. You could look for motors on www.thepartstrader.com or www.hondaclassifieds.com .

jcrx
06-23-2003, 12:39 PM
My $400 header and $550 exhaust fit on it (they're from an Si, and they fit on D16's too) so instead of buying a slightly cheaper motor I bought the one which drops right in, no hasport mounts needed, no nothing. It should be about a 10 hour job.
Ok let me put it as simply as I can, if you were to put a B16A1, B16A2, B16A3, B16A4, B18C1, B18C3, B18C4, B18C5, B18C6, B20B, B20Z, into a 92-00 civic,delsol, you DO NOT need aftermarket mounts.

Ricochet
06-23-2003, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by jcrx

Ok let me put it as simply as I can, if you were to put a B16A1, B16A2, B16A3, B16A4, B18C1, B18C3, B18C4, B18C5, B18C6, B20B, B20Z, into a 92-00 civic,delsol, you DO NOT need aftermarket mounts.
Sorry, I started typing that before you made your post. I bought a Civic Si Greddy header and it mounted perfectly to my D block... Before this one I had a Civic Si OBX header and it mounted perfectly to my D block, so I'm sure it will fit on the ctr engine too.

If a GSR uses the stock civic mounts why do they sell conversion kits on hasport for integra -> civic swaps?

jcrx
06-23-2003, 12:54 PM
They are perfomance replacment mounts, and for using the old straight post brackets from the 1st gen B16's with the newer offset holed mounts.

Ricochet
06-23-2003, 12:58 PM
Does the GSR have the same skyscraper revlimit that the CTR has?

b18c dx
06-23-2003, 05:44 PM
the ctr rev's to 9000, the gsr rev's to 8000. thats news to me that the d series header will bolt up to a b series block, the bolt patterns are different. hasport does make mounts for a b series into an eg, but you don't need them, you replace the mounts off ur d series onto ur b series engine. 89-91 needs a mount kit. need a motor check
www.osakajdmmotors.com

my friends hot there motors from there and they highly recomend them. they actually went right to the warehouse an picked there engines up.

jcrx
06-23-2003, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by b18c dx

www.osakajdmmotors.com

my friends hot there motors from there and they highly recomend them. they actually went right to the warehouse an picked there engines up.
DO NOT oder a motor from Osucka. They practically have hteir own forums on website about ripping people off, sending broken motors, taking forever. If you can go there is one thing, because you would get your choice, but DO NOT order from them.

www.honda-tech.com
www.hondaswap.com

Do a search on these two and you will see some of the horror stories.

b18c dx
06-23-2003, 05:55 PM
you find horror stories and you find stories about people ordering b16's and getting b16b's or b18c's or whatever. when my friends when up there they had spoon b16's jun headers all just laying around, they have what ever u need, i don't know, i think thats where i'll get my next engine when i sell my car.

jcrx
06-23-2003, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by b18c dx
you find horror stories and you find stories about people ordering b16's and getting b16b's or b18c's or whatever.
My ass, more like people getting motors without tranny, or smashed heads, or every sensor broken, auto ECU's with manual tranny's, D series axles with B series motors, blown gaskets, you name what can go wrong, and it has come from Osucka, but feel free to go and get your motor from there. I hope it works out for you. Doesn't matter anyway, the guy who's thread this is already has a motor.

Ricochet
06-23-2003, 07:57 PM
It's actually being shipped right now and should arrive by Friday.

About the headers, how are the bolt patterns different? That's starting to irk me because I asked for an Si header but the guy knew I drove a DX. I could have sworn all the magazine adds say their headers are for EX/Si. Oh well, it comes with an exhaust manifold so if they don't fit they don't fit.

b16b bomber
06-23-2003, 10:25 PM
n/a is so expensive...just put a thicker head gasket and go turbo
j/k
I have all those mods that you guys talked about,
but dont expect too much out of all the money you will spend modding it for N/A.

the good part about is that it is pretty reliable after tuning of course.

for that engine you should get a bigger header meaning w/ 2.5 collector, it makes a big difference.
and i think the person might have given you headers for the 92-95 ex/si but this is just my guess. so those headers you have now shouldnt fit

Ricochet
06-23-2003, 10:35 PM
damn, well I'll just add them to my DX crap for sale list...

jcrx
06-24-2003, 04:48 AM
damn, well I'll just add them to my DX crap for sale list...
Ya, you should have specified 99-00 Si, or 94-97 Delsol DOHC.

Add your comment to this topic!