Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1989 Toyota Camry 4 cylinder

Rickeburt
10-25-2013, 12:09 PM
I Have a 1989 Toyota Camry 4 cylinder which has what I think is a air flow problem, It keeps building up pressure in the oil sump which in turn push out the engine oil dip stick and also force out crank seal. I read somewhere on the net where the say the problem is a faulty PCV Valve, but 1989 4 cylinder models don't carry PCV valve. Can someone Help me Please.

Brian R.
10-25-2013, 03:14 PM
You have a PCV system which consists of a hose from your valve cover to your intake system near the butterfly. Replace this hose.

Rickeburt
10-25-2013, 03:50 PM
Thanks, but are you saying it carries a PCV system and not a PCV valve? because I changed that hose and still have the problem. Could it be that there is some blockage somewhere in the intake?

Brian R.
10-25-2013, 06:28 PM
Thanks, but are you saying it carries a PCV system and not a PCV valve?

Yes. The hose is part of the PCV system. No PCV valve that I am aware of. There may be a restriction in the intake where the hose connects.

because I changed that hose and still have the problem. Could it be that there is some blockage somewhere in the intake?

Yes, if the hose didn't help, then your crankcase is not venting as it should. In order for the PCV system to work, you have to have air flow from the crankcase to under the head cover, (where the PCV hose is connected), to inside your intake by your butterfly.

Another possibility is that your one or more of your compression rings are bad and you are getting way too much blowby.

Check your compression.

Remove your valve cover and see if there is something (sludge or gunk) plugging the oil drainback holes in the head.

Make sure you have suction on the PCV hose when the engine is running. Check for a free-flowing connection at the intake manifold.

Here is a service manual you can download:
http://dc303.4shared.com/download/M9KuIgnD/1987-1991_Camry_FSM.zip?tsid=20131025-235559-64322420

Rickeburt
10-25-2013, 08:46 PM
I just had new rings and bearings installed so I am pretty sure the problem is not there, but I'll have my mechanic check the other stuff you mentioned and give you a feedback. Thanks a lot and thanks for the Manual.

Brian R.
10-27-2013, 02:00 AM
Check the compression anyway. It wouldn't be the first time rings weren't installed correctly.

DeltaP
10-27-2013, 12:13 PM
Or broken during piston/rod installation into cylinder.

Rickeburt
10-28-2013, 02:36 PM
Good day. I just wanna say thanks to all who gave there advise Especially to Brian R. whose advise was most useful re: PCV system. There was no airflow through the hose to the system which was blocked, but after clearing the system my problem is now solved and I am now driving again after a Month. Thanks a lot Bro.

Brian R.
10-29-2013, 11:22 PM
Where was it blocked and how did you clean it?

Rickeburt
10-30-2013, 12:50 PM
When the Mechanic blew into the PCV hose from the side connected to the cylinder head it was completely blocked inside the intake by the butterfly, so he had to remove it completely, use a needle at first then a piece of binding wire to clear it completely. So the blockage was not in the PCV hose itself but the intake part of the PCV system.

Add your comment to this topic!