Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Rodeo stalls, occasional 'Hard Starts'

trainingwheels
10-17-2013, 04:25 PM
My 1995 Isuzu Rodeo began stalling when braked/stopped. The car would continue running only if the gas pedal was lightly pushed, keeping the flow going. I treated it with Seafoam and water remover and the problem went away for week. Now it will stall, then refuse to start for a period of time. When attempting to start the Rodeo a loud 'strangled' sound is sometimes heard, then nothing. Try again a few minutes later and the car starts and the ride home over the next mile is smooth. My untrained guess points to a bad starter. I also believe there were two problems at the same time, one being junk in the fuel line, perhaps a loose battery connection as a contributor, then a starter problem. What do you think?

Thanks for your help!

Robert

amigo-2k
10-19-2013, 09:47 AM
The running and die problem, could be a plugged fuel filter, but gas today is so clean. I would still swap it out.

Next up would be the fuel pressure regulator. Common issue on isuzu's with over 100k on them.

The starting problem could be, as you state, bad battery connections (clean up the battery posts) and then you could swap out the starter.

a bad starter typically will turn over very slowly, or you hear a click in the starter solenoid and then nothing ....

Add your comment to this topic!