Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

decals and clear coat?

emufarmer
06-10-2003, 09:04 PM
has any1 ever clear coated their car after the decals and stuff were put one? b/c i just realized after i had put the decals on my itr that i had a bottle of clear coat paint layin around and decided to ask the experts first before i destroy a perfectly good car :1zhelp:

Dublinguy
06-11-2003, 03:52 AM
Hi Emufarmer,

There are two trains of thought on this some people hate to clearcoat their car and others will swear by it. If you do decide to clear coat be sure the clear coat wont damage the decals. You can test this by taking one of the unused decals (if you have any left) from the kit and trying the clear coat on it. Also damaging your decals isnt your only concern you need to make sure that your clearcoat will be compatible with your paint on the car. You can try this again by taking some of the scrap from the kit and trying the colour coat with your clearcoat.

Of course the other option you might have is to just wax the car with the decals on it. Although Im not sure how much protection your decals with get from just waxing so you might want to check that with someone else.

Ciaran

chipanggo
06-11-2003, 04:21 AM
you can clear coat over decals. just make sure that your first 3 coats are very light, just to dust the entire body with the decals. do it in a way that when the clear hits the body, it's almost dry. in other words, hold the can quite far. after around 3 coats of this method, you can now hold your can closer and do your "wet" coats.

as always, please practice first on old scrap decals. it's not easy to get it right on the first try. practice makes perfect.

hope this helps. good luck.

btw, some people don't like clear coating over decals while some really do live by it. it's really up to you if you want to clear over decals or clear then put decals. personally, i do it any which way. sometimes i clear over decals sometimes i don't.

Martbee
06-11-2003, 06:09 AM
I almost always add clear on the decals. make them secure in place, where they should be... not in the cat's mouth or something like this. Never had bad experience with this method, sometime it take 4 or 5 clear to obtain what I want.

emufarmer
06-11-2003, 03:30 PM
thx guys lots of help!

Add your comment to this topic!