Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

RB20DET power-up mods?

chrisw
11-10-2001, 09:10 PM
Hi guys,

I've decided to use an RB20DET for a project car of mine (240/260Z) that I'm thinking of doing, and I was wondering what sort of mods will be best for it.

I'm lucky enough to know a couple of excellent Nissan spanners, so when I get the engine I'll most likely strip it down and have it rebuilt. Probably won't end up costing me much, so what the hell, right? Anyway.. I'd like around 200kW at the rear treads, but I'm not too knowledgable about what works best on the RB engines (I'm normally an SR man).

So, what I thought was this..

* head porting + cam work (I know someone that does this, so..)
* 3" mandrel-bent exhaust, cat, muffler (blah blah!)
* maybe a pod filter, otherwise just a K&N element in the standard filter
* custom dump pipe with wastegate separator (though I'll run it back in the exhaust mix)
* maybe forged pistons (depending)
* re-mapped standard computer

As for the turbo.. I don't know. Maybe one off a VG30DETT? Or, failing that, a HKS GT3037 ;D a custom exhaust manifold would be nice, but that's all depending, I suppose. Any comments? Thanks!

-Joel-
11-10-2001, 09:35 PM
I'm still in the decision part of my Performance Mods that i'm going to make..

But regarding CAM work, the RB20DE (N/A) Cam is more aggressive and has a similiar grind to a HKS cam. This maybe worth a go.

I am also looking at the VG30 Turbo as I was told by ATS in Adelaide that if they would highflow I would be getting just over the 200rwkw mark.
Also they said they can Highflow the std turbo and just nudge the 200rwkw mark with maybe an injector upgrade.

Here's what I'm thinking of doing..

VG30 Turbo Steel Wheel :) Thanx to Meggala
(I still might go a Highflow VG30 Unit)
(Might need RX7 Series 5 Injectors need to find out $$ First)
Either UniChip or Power S-AFC Fueller...
FMIC
3" Exhaust Inc Highflow Cat & Dump Pipe
Autospeed Audi Type Boost/Wastgate Controller

I would like as close as possible to the 200rwkw mark..
But if it means saving $1600 and settling for 30rwkw less well let it be..

Add your comment to this topic!