Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Just an opinion on Krylon Primer

Deejay27
06-10-2003, 03:35 AM
I just used some grey Krylon primer for the first time on some parts for my new project (Mclaren MP4/7) and I must say that it's some pretty good stuff. I've been using Tamiya's primer and was looking for a cheaper alternative 'cause the Tamiya stuff was just getting too expensive (although I just ordered another 4 cans). I've read that Krylon primer needs to be sanded in order to get a smooth finish but from what I can tell it sprayed on very smooth and doesn't appear that any sanding is needed (I got the same results as I did using Tamiya's grey primer). Of course I warmed the can up in warm water for about 8 minutes and shook it very well prior to spraying. At under $3.00 for a large can it's a steal of a deal compared to Tamiya Primer IMO.

Ghost_9418
06-10-2003, 04:10 AM
I use it too and its great. I should pick up some krylon white primer and try that out.:D

935k3
06-10-2003, 05:11 AM
I have been using Krylon for years it's very good paint. It's pigment is bigger than Tamiya but that's good when you have done puttying an other body work as it fills better than Tamiya. It also adds a more solid look to the model. It really should be sanded with 1500 or 2000 grit sand paper. Duplicolor also makes some good primers.

rhmatt
06-10-2003, 03:53 PM
I've used the white (sandable) Krylon primer with mixed results. Seems to require a little extra sanding after it's applied.

I have a can of gray Krylon, but have yet to use it. I found a cheap supplier for Tamiya primer ($4.50 ea) and bought 3 cans of it. I'll try the Krylon gray out on my next project, maybe for the chassis/interior, but I think I'll stick with Tamiya for the body.

-Rick

Deejay27
06-10-2003, 06:10 PM
Well, here's an update on the "Krylon" results. After spraying on the top coat it does appear that some sanding is required. The primer itself looks smooth but when the top coat goes on I can see that it's not as smooth as the Tamiya Primer. As far as using it for small items there doesn't appear to be a problem. I recommend using the Tamiya Primer for the body and the Krylon for misc./small parts. I found a cheap supplier for Tamiya primer ($4.50 ea)

rhmatt....where did you pick up the Tamiya Primer at that price? Online? Is it for the big can?

chipanggo
06-10-2003, 11:28 PM
krylon goes by the name pylox here in the Philippines. i'm currently using the white primer now, and i must say it's pretty good. but i still sand it with 1500 to 2000 grit to really sure.

yater13
06-11-2003, 11:20 AM
Here's a link to one of my cars done w/Krylon grey. Sad thing is, it's still not finished. I did sand between primer and color coat. Black is also Krylon.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/t31587.html

rhmatt
06-11-2003, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Deejay27

rhmatt....where did you pick up the Tamiya Primer at that price? Online? Is it for the big can?

Southsidehobbys (http://www.southsidehobbys.com) Yes it is for the big can!:bigthumb:

It's a place that used to advertise in Scale Auto, they have a website, with nothing much on it. It seems to be more or less a wholesaler for small hobby shops. I've bought a few kits from them in the past, but use them for ALL my paints. I ordered by phone the first time, but now I just email them in.

Most of their prices are 30% under retail. Tamiya TS cans are $3.50 and 23ml acrylics are $1.79 and the lrg white primer is $4.50.

Here is my original post about them from last year, maybe you can reply to it so some of the newbs see it.

First post on Southside (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/t57902.html)

Hope this helps,

-Rick

mike@af
06-11-2003, 12:07 PM
I love the stuff, the krylon primer is great, and cost efficient $3.49 for a huge can.

Deejay27
06-11-2003, 01:54 PM
Rick....thanks for the info. I'm going to have to place my next order of Tamiya paints through them.

Diesel2NR
06-12-2003, 09:08 AM
I'm suprized to find that the Tamiya TS paints don't eat through the Krylon primer. I did some tests using a Duplicolor color coat and it ate the krylon up really fast. With some work, the krylon primer can give a really smooth finish on a body (I've used it under acrylics and enamels). Just go over it with some finer (but not too fine) sand paper after it dries well. I used 1500 on it and it worked really well.

Add your comment to this topic!