Page updated on 11-21-2017

Tamiya TS-57 versus Purple Power

Keeto
10-10-2013, 09:16 PM
Hey everyone,

After 16 years of being out of the hobby I'm eventually back. I was working on the Tamiya Honda Raybrig NSX just as "get-back-into-it" project. Therefore the TS-57. Stuffed up the paint a couple of times but now I want to remove it back to the plastic. So far Purple Power has worked a treat on a couple of other cars I'm also working on...but Tamiya Paint and Purple Power....not coming off. The body has been in the Purple Pool for nearly a week. Nothing. Not even a wrinkle. What to use to get rid of the paint now? Castrol Super Clean or is it the same stuff just in another container? Alcohol? Thinners? Thanks for any help.

935k3
10-11-2013, 12:06 AM
91% Alcohol will strip Tamiya's lacquers. General Rule of thumb if it's enamel use Purple Power or Easy Off(yellow can only), if it's lacquer use 91% or higher Alcohol. Easy Off works good on all primers.

griffin-gt40
10-11-2013, 01:08 AM
Castrol Super Clean should work without any issues at all. I recently bought a Studio 27 Viper GTS-R off of Ebay that had been started but needed to be restored. The seller told me he used Tamiya primer and enamel sprays.

http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss116/Jhedi-R6/DF6948EF902A4AEAB803E67F76D16FB9_zpsd8fbfdb2.jpg (http://s567.photobucket.com/user/Jhedi-R6/media/DF6948EF902A4AEAB803E67F76D16FB9_zpsd8fbfdb2.jpg.h tml)

After about a week in the CSC bath the paint was starting to loosen off. It probably would of been quicker but that was the end of that batches life. Even after another week the paint was still there but I used wooden skewer to gently loosen the rest of the paint off. After a quick wash in soap in water its back down to the original bare resin. Sorry haven't taken a picture of it in the bare resin yet, but CSC should do the trick for you too.

David

keveuh
10-11-2013, 01:30 AM
I don't know what products Purple Power and Castrol Super Clean are but for me brake fluid (of a cheap brand even) has always worked wonderfully well to remove acrylics, enamels and lacquers. It's like after few hours deeped in brake fluid the paint can just be peeled off the surface.

nascar49
10-11-2013, 01:47 AM
I don't know what products Purple Power and Castrol Super Clean are but for me brake fluid (of a cheap brand even) has always worked wonderfully well to remove acrylics, enamels and lacquers. It's like after few hours deeped in brake fluid the paint can just be peeled off the surface.

Brake fluid can be harmful to the plastic, or so I have read a lot of times

keveuh
10-11-2013, 08:47 AM
Brake fluid can be harmful to the plastic, or so I have read a lot of times

I have put in brake fluid 4 kits, Aoshima, Fujimi and Tamiya. I've never had any problem even with clear parts. It might make the plastic a bit more fragile but once rinced and dry it's like normal. So at least from my experience it's fine to use but I can't guarantee it's 100% safe.

stevenoble
10-11-2013, 10:01 AM
Alcohol 91% or higher as already mentioned above is your best bet. I keep away from brake fluid as it makes the plastic brittle if soaked for too long. It can also make the dye 'bleed' from the plastic. So you strip a red body, paint it white and the red pigment bleeds through from the underlying plastic, turning your body pink. That can happen anyway with coloured plastic, but anything stripped with brake fluid seems even more prone to that problem...

Keeto
10-11-2013, 12:21 PM
Thanks everyone. So just buy a can somewhere (Home Depot, Lowes?) and drop it in the Alcohol for an hour or so and things should be peachy again?

stevenoble
10-12-2013, 02:19 PM
Thanks everyone. So just buy a can somewhere (Home Depot, Lowes?) and drop it in the Alcohol for an hour or so and things should be peachy again?

Pretty much, just leave it till the paint starts to loosen. You may need to agitate it with a toothbrush if it's stubborn..

935k3
10-12-2013, 10:06 PM

It usually ready to scrub off with an old tooth brush in 20 minutes. Yo can get the alcohol at Walmart, Target and most drug stores. Look in health and beauty sections. It is usually in 1 liter polyethylene bottles.

Add your comment to this topic!