Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

How to load Tamiya acrylics to airbrush cup?

Smile
10-03-2013, 08:25 AM
I just recently bought a cheap $20 dollar airbrush, and I am not sure how to load paint onto the airbrush's cup. What is the easiest and the most efficient way? Thanks

stevenoble
10-03-2013, 08:37 AM
I just recently bought a cheap $20 dollar airbrush, and I am not sure how to load paint onto the airbrush's cup. What is the easiest and the most efficient way? Thanks

The best way is to buy some small metal mixing vessels (link below) Mix the paint and thinner directly into those and then you can transfer easily into the airbrush cup with no spillage and no mess. I usually mix at 50:50 ratio with the paint and thinner and go from there. Sometimes adding more thinner depending upon how it sprays. Your airbrush may be different than mine and need thicker or thinner paint to spray well, so experiment until you find a good mix. Also being metal you can clean out and use the cups over and over again so they will last a lifetime..

Link

http://www.hlj.com/product/MNS37005

nugundam93
10-03-2013, 10:35 AM
after thinning down the paint in another paint jar, i use either a straw for the paint to follow as i pour it to the airbrush cup, or use said straw to transfer the paint by sealing off the top end with my thumb.

or you can get those glass pipettes from chemistry supply shops to transfer paint.

Johan_SWE
10-03-2013, 12:21 PM
I use a syringe to measure the paint and then another syringe for the thinner.
They are labeled with ml so it is very easy to get the mix I like.
I just mix them in the gravity cup for my airbrush.

Non medical grade syringes can be found in electronic component and tools stores.

Some_Kid
10-03-2013, 06:36 PM
All of the previous suggestions are spot on. However I would be careful on thinning certain types of paint too much. For x-18 for example or flat paints I do not thin much if at all. I find that x-18 if thinned too much turns unnaturally glossy and not suitable in sheen for undercarriage parts.

Add your comment to this topic!