Page updated on 12-17-2017

Ac compressor squeal

94HeavyChevy
09-30-2013, 08:34 AM
On cold mornings i get a quick squealing noise from the front of my engine. Now i get it every morning. There is a plate on the front of the AC compressor that i can spin with my hand ( i believe its the AC clutch). The car will start (Ac off) and less than a second after the clutch will spin for a few seconds then stop spinning. While its spinning it will make a squealing noise and when it stops spinning so does the squeal. It only squeals on the first start of the day and then does not repeat until the following morning. Is this anything to worry about? is there any way to lubricate it? any help would be very appreciated.

Blt2Lst
09-30-2013, 01:37 PM
Maybe time for new belts..

brcidd
10-01-2013, 09:35 AM
That is probably liquid refrigerant slugging- design changed after 1995 model year to eliminate that- compressor turns because aof PCM algorithm- no big deal...won't hurt- just annoying..

j cAT
10-01-2013, 07:32 PM
On cold mornings i get a quick squealing noise from the front of my engine. Now i get it every morning. There is a plate on the front of the AC compressor that i can spin with my hand ( i believe its the AC clutch). The car will start (Ac off) and less than a second after the clutch will spin for a few seconds then stop spinning. While its spinning it will make a squealing noise and when it stops spinning so does the squeal. It only squeals on the first start of the day and then does not repeat until the following morning. Is this anything to worry about? is there any way to lubricate it? any help would be very appreciated.

one thing about these LT1 engines and the belt , the idler tension must be constant. my guess is the tension-er may need replacing. I have had this happen to me 2 years ago. took off the tension-er and lubed cleaned replaced the pulley bearing and of coarse the belt. I have 2 back up belts that did the same thing so,,, I got a tension-er new and then put all the belts on and got no squeals. It squealed with the ac on !

brcidd
10-01-2013, 07:39 PM
Is this your 89 Caprice? If so its a 5.7 engine with a high mount R-4 compressor-- but slugging was also an issue back in 89- the fix was to put an anti-siphon hole (internal) in the accumulator.

j cAT
10-02-2013, 09:11 PM

if this is the 1989 caprice with the 307 cu olds engine I would replace the belt if the vee is worn [riding too deep in the pulley]. also clean the belt of any dirt oils on it . remove inspect and if it looks good use dishwashing soap to clean remove oils.

the clutch plate can get oil on it and cause slipping possible squeal . you could check the gap here .with an old unit it could be worn down and the gap too wide.

poor connection to the clutch coil also..

94HeavyChevy
10-08-2013, 08:05 AM
sorry guys i forgot to mention its a 95 caprice 4.3L V8. the squeal is definetly the ac clutch spinning on the front of the compressor. it starts spinning after the vehicle starts then it stops spinning after like 2-3 seconds.

Add your comment to this topic!