Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Car dying issue

tc213
09-29-2013, 02:15 AM
Sorry I think this is probably in the wrong section, please move if it is.

Recently I've been having some car issues. Often times I would try to start up my car, but nothing would happen, my car simply wouldn't respond, the lights wouldn't turn on, even the hazard lights wouldn't turn on. I would fix it by opening up the hood, and poking a wire that is connect to the battery, then bam, my car would start working again. However, lately it's been getting more frequent, and it even happened when I was driving in the middle of the road.

Does anyone have any idea whats wrong with it? Is it my battery that is dying? Should I replace it? Or should I get my friend to come over and have it charge on his car for awhile?

My car is a 2003 Acura RSX Type-S

This is what I'm poking (not exactly my car but the same model I believe)
http://i.imgur.com/OqnDz31.jpg

Dave B.
09-30-2013, 09:30 PM
The 'wire' you indicated appears to be the positive battery cable. It powers virtually everything in the car.
1. It's very unlikely that your problem is the battery - if it were, the car wouldn't re-start without using jumper cables. There's a tiny chance that your battery could have a problem with the internal connections, but it's something that happens VERY infrequently.
2. The fact that moving the cable lets the car re-start tells me that you probably have a loose or corroded connection somewhere near the battery. Correcting the problem might be as simple as cleaning the connections in the circuit. If there is a lot of corrosion, you might need to replace the cable. Worst case would be that there is a 'box' containing one or more fuses or relays built into the cable. If that's the case, the problem could be there and you would need to replace the cable assembly.

If you are an experienced do-it-yourselfer, you could tackle the project... but I don't get that feeling from your post. I would suggest that you take the car to a dealer or an independent technician who specializes in Hondas and Acuras.

While you're at it, I'd have him/her clean all the ground connections. In my experience, bad grounds cause more electrical problems in cars than anything else.

Good luck with solving your problem.

Dave B.

tc213
10-01-2013, 03:25 AM
Alright, thanks a ton, I appreciate it.

Add your comment to this topic!