Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

99 K15005.7L-Replaced timing chain and now won't run

Termite1988
09-24-2013, 02:10 PM
Thank you in advance for your help. I just replaced the timing chain and water pump on my 1999 K1500 5.7L. After spending several evenings and a few early mornings working on it, I get everything back together and go to start it up. It starts then immediately dies. After double checking that the CKP sensor, two plugs on breather, and a/c and altenator wires (these are all that I unplugged) are connected I try in one more time before coming in to work today.

Timing chain was installed with No. 1 at TDC and mark on cam at 12 o'clock position as stated in the Haynes manual for the truck. I did not remove or even touch the distributor since replacing the intake gaskets ~3 years ago. Will check to see if any codes are showing in the morning when I have my laptop at home. Any ideas as to what I should be looking for are greatly appreciated.

-Ben

Schurkey
09-24-2013, 07:41 PM
It starts then immediately dies.
Isn't that a symptom of anti-theft (PassKey system, or similar) activation?

Timing chain was installed with No. 1 at TDC and mark on cam at 12 o'clock position as stated in the Haynes manual for the truck. I did not remove or even touch the distributor since replacing the intake gaskets ~3 years ago. Will check to see if any codes are showing in the morning when I have my laptop at home. Any ideas as to what I should be looking for are greatly appreciated.
Was the old timing chain REMOVED with the cam gear at 12:00?

Did you manually turn the crankshaft a couple of revolutions and then verify that the timing marks still align?

Is this a multi-keyway crank sprocket, and if so are you sure you used the correct keyway?

Will it stay running if you hold the key in the "crank" position (hard on the starter, but would help diagnosis)

Termite1988
09-25-2013, 07:28 AM
Isn't that a symptom of anti-theft (PassKey system, or similar) activation?

Not sure if it is a symptom of anti-theft but then again I'm not familiar with diagnosing it.

Was the old timing chain REMOVED with the cam gear at 12:00?

Did you manually turn the crankshaft a couple of revolutions and then verify that the timing marks still align?

Is this a multi-keyway crank sprocket, and if so are you sure you used the correct keyway?

Will it stay running if you hold the key in the "crank" position (hard on the starter, but would help diagnosis)

The original chain and sprocket were removed with both cam and crank at specified positions. I did not however turn crank and/or cam (with chain on to verify all marks still aligned. Both sprockets are single keyway and did not try holding key. Once the damper was reinstalled, I did turn it several revolutions and confirmed that No. 1 is on compression stroke when it should be (pulled plug, finger over hole etc.).

I did however try to start it again this morning and it fired off and ran normally with no SES light. There had been nothing done to it since yesterday's failed attempts at starting it. My better half claims it was her touching it but I have my doubts. Only let it idle since it was early and still had family members in bed that I shouldn't wake. I am off tomorrow and will take it for a few short drives and let you know what it does.

Thanks,
Ben

j cAT
09-25-2013, 07:58 AM
Not sure if it is a symptom of anti-theft but then again I'm not familiar with diagnosing it.

The original chain and sprocket were removed with both cam and crank at specified positions. I did not however turn crank and/or cam (with chain on to verify all marks still aligned. Both sprockets are single keyway and did not try holding key. Once the damper was reinstalled, I did turn it several revolutions and confirmed that No. 1 is on compression stroke when it should be (pulled plug, finger over hole etc.).

I did however try to start it again this morning and it fired off and ran normally with no SES light. There had been nothing done to it since yesterday's failed attempts at starting it. My better half claims it was her touching it but I have my doubts. Only let it idle since it was early and still had family members in bed that I shouldn't wake. I am off tomorrow and will take it for a few short drives and let you know what it does.

Thanks,
Ben

when the engine starts then quicly dies you look to see if the security light is on ..if so then this is why......

with the power off for a long period this can occur . since it seems to work now it is possible the lock cylinder security pick up is going out..

Termite1988
10-09-2013, 02:31 PM
since it seems to work now it is possible the lock cylinder security pick up is going out..
I've been going under the assumption that it was the security and have not had a problem since the initial day. Hopefully it won't decide to act up unless I'm at or near home since work is near an hour drive away. Thanks for your help and insight.

-Ben

Add your comment to this topic!