Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Power Steering Leak

pryornfld
09-12-2013, 06:46 PM
Hello,

I have a 2002 cavilar and it developed a leak. How can I tell if it is from the rack and pinion or simply a hose? I've added a whole bottle of fluid and within 30 mis of driving completely empty. I can see a drip on the bottom of car, near passenger side but I cannot see where it is exactly coming from.Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks
dion

pryornfld
09-13-2013, 05:07 PM
Just as a note, I added fluid and now it seems like there is no leak. I noticed it was leaking under the car before but now it seems to have stopped. Does this make any sense....
I'm confused!! Is there a overflow or anything that could cause this?

Tech II
09-13-2013, 06:07 PM
Yes, it doesn't make sense, if you add a whole bottle and in 30 miles it is empty.....

The usual leak spots are the main shaft seal on the pump, where the metal is crimped to the rubber on the lines, and the seals on the ends of the rack(fluid can build up in the "bellows" on the inner tie rods).....if you pierce the rib of the bellows on the bottom with a small pick, and power steering flows out, your seals in the rack are leaking....

pryornfld
09-14-2013, 02:20 PM
Found the leak....it is on a piece of metal pipe that is on the underside of the chassis. There is a rubber grommet there that I guess keeps the pipe from touching the chassis. It was leaking under this rubber and I guess it shifted to leak one day then shifted back to reduce the leak. So need to get it replaced. Might go with a high pressure hose instead of a metal pipe!1Any comments on this?

Add your comment to this topic!