Page updated on 11-17-2017

Glueing photoetch badge

Johan_SWE
09-12-2013, 06:03 PM
I am about to glue a photoetched badge to the boot lid of a car, but I am a bit concerned for the paint job.
What is the best method?
Glue on the back of the badge and then very gently apply it to the car?
Since it will be superglue the application needs to be exact and quick.

/J.

stevenoble
09-12-2013, 06:16 PM
I am about to glue a photoetched badge to the boot lid of a car, but I am a bit concerned for the paint job.
What is the best method?
Glue on the back of the badge and then very gently apply it to the car?
Since it will be superglue the application needs to be exact and quick.

/J.

Don't use superglue. It gives you no time to position the badge and no room for error if you get it in the wrong place. Use either 2 part epoxy glue or wood/pva glue. Plenty time to attach the badge in the right position and once set plenty strong enough. Also no chance of ruining the paintwork..

CrateCruncher
09-12-2013, 06:25 PM
It sounds a bit bizarre but I use clear acrylic paint like x-22. The paint is strong after it dries but allows positioning time and blends perfectly with your clearcoat. Use a toothpick with a bit of foil adhesive on the end to pick up the badge. Place a TINY drop of clear on the part. Place the part on the trunk using the toothpick. Pull the toothpick away and use it to straighten the badge if necessary.

You did polish the badge before removing it from the fret right?

blubaja
09-12-2013, 09:42 PM
Yes. Just use a little bit of clear paint.

CFarias
09-12-2013, 11:52 PM
The water-based clears and glues are a very good idea. As mentioned already they will give you time to position the emblem, but it is also easy to wipe away any excess clear or glue if any seeps out from behind the emblem or to start over if things got wrong.

Kjenjak
09-13-2013, 04:50 AM
I use white glue that dries transparent. You can wipe off excess glue while it's still liquid or rub of excess that is already dry, or pull it off completely and start new, and it wont affect the surface of the paint or clear parts at all.

MidMazar
09-13-2013, 05:58 AM
In the past i used to use testors clear glue, for canopies,windows. A tiny dot and sqwish the badge over, dries clear can be wiped with wet cloth for excess. Obviously the badge has to be set on top with least gravity against it while glue dries.

BTW Like Steve stated earlier don't use super glue it fogs the pait real bad!!

Johan_SWE
09-16-2013, 05:03 AM
To follow up on my post;
I took CrateCrunchers advice and used some Tamiya X-22 Clear to fix the badge to the car.
Worked really great!

No, I forgot to polish the badge properly.
Was OK, but next time I will do a better job.

F1-Fan
09-20-2013, 09:40 PM
I only use "Future" for all the clear parts and photo etches. No mess at all.

GTRfan01
09-23-2013, 06:52 AM
yeah ive always used a cler w/b glue like liquid fusion. great stuff !

ricrosar
09-23-2013, 08:32 PM
Micro liquitape from microscale. this has become my best friend for those jobs and for attaching rear view mirros, wipers etc. You just apply a bit to the part, wait until it gets clear then assemble. It can be repositioned many times and absolutely no mess or paint damage.

Add your comment to this topic!