Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1993 lumina no spark, and clueless!!!

Otter7450
09-08-2013, 11:39 AM
New ICM, New Crank Sensor, i have 12v going into ICM, also had New ICM tested and its good. Good continuity going to crank sensor, all connections are made, and still have no spark, help, out of ideals....

jeffcoslacker
09-08-2013, 01:13 PM
A little more info...were these parts installed to try to fix the no-start? This is a 3.1 I guess?

Was any other work done prior to the problem?

Aside from continuity, can you see an alternating signal form the crank sensor when the motor is turning over?

You have a cam position sensor too, behind the alternator in the intake manifold. Have you checked it? It seems to my memory that they would continue running without a cam position signal, but might not start. Not 100% sure, it's been a while. Worth a check though.

Otter7450
09-08-2013, 07:42 PM
About two wks ago it wouldn't start, so I replaced the crank sensor first, then had the ICM tested and that what was bad, put a new one in, it ran good for a week. Now, same thing, cranks but no start... It is a 3.1... No other work was done, the car was running good for awhile. We did have alternating signal from the crank at 1.8v ac.. I will look for the cam sensor, I didn't think it had one but I gonna check, thank a lot dude, this effing thing I'd driving me to more drinking....

Tech II
09-08-2013, 08:52 PM
Have you checked for spark and fuel pressure?

Will it start if you spray carb cleaner into the intake?

Otter7450
09-08-2013, 09:12 PM
Tech II, yes, no spark....

jdl
09-09-2013, 10:19 AM
Did you check for ground at the ignition module? Usually the voltage and ground at the ignition module is a two wire connector. Voltage is pink, ground is black. If you take the connector loose, key on, use a test light between the terminals. If the light comes on, you have voltage and ground.

Engine cranking, do you have a fuel injector pulse, just curious? At the ignition module, the purple wire with white tracer carries rpm signal to computer, engine cranking. Without rpm signal, no injector pulse. The rpm signal is a dc pulse, if you have a dmm with a tach or anything that will react to a dc pulse, you can check that signal, engine cranking.

Did you ever check for codes, anything?

Tech II
09-09-2013, 07:10 PM
This car has two crank sensors? One in the block and one behind the harmonic balancer.....did you replace the one in the block?

jdl
09-10-2013, 09:24 AM
According to Mitchel, the calif vin T has two. except calif vinT, only one. Of course you never know about these databases. I have seen mistakes.

jeffcoslacker
09-10-2013, 06:12 PM
Yeah I seem to remember the early DIS 3.1's having just the block mount CPK...AZ's part locator seems to think it has a cam sensor too, like I said.

jdl
09-11-2013, 10:47 AM
Yeah, it depends on which vehicle the person owns. Vin T for California use shows two crank sensors and a cam sensor. The vin T outside California only shows a crank sensor and no cam sensor.

California has their own vehicle regulations. The person asking the question didn't give enough info. You guys could very well be right about the two crank sensors and cam sensor. It doesn't look like the person that asked the question is going to post up about the fix? We may never know? Have a good day.

Add your comment to this topic!