Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Air Suspension 2003 Lesabre.

paulf717
09-03-2013, 04:15 PM
I have 2003 Lesabre, I replaced the original air shocks with the Monroe air shocks. What's happening,is that the driver side is making a loud bang when I go over a bad bump or pothole. Also the tire is angled outward. The passenger side is fine. My question is? is the top side threaded rod supposed to have a stop before it goes up inside the trunk. The kit had a flat washer that went up inside and a cone shaped washer for the trunk mount..Or could it be the spring? Any advice would be appreciated...Thanks

gmtech1
09-03-2013, 04:49 PM
I have 2003 Lesabre, I replaced the original air shocks with the Monroe air shocks. What's happening,is that the driver side is making a loud bang when I go over a bad bump or pothole. Also the tire is angled outward. The passenger side is fine. My question is? is the top side threaded rod supposed to have a stop before it goes up inside the trunk. The kit had a flat washer that went up inside and a cone shaped washer for the trunk mount..Or could it be the spring? Any advice would be appreciated...Thanks

I would double check all your nuts and bolts for proper torque.

As far as the tire being "angled outward", changing the shock will not change rear camber, check the spring and make sure it is seated correctly in the control arm and the body.

enslow
09-03-2013, 07:10 PM
Did you use a quickstrut or separate components?

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 4

maxwedge
09-03-2013, 07:28 PM
No strut in the rear, spring and shock are seperate.

enslow
09-03-2013, 07:43 PM
No strut in the rear, spring and shock are seperate.

This is a common misconception. Koni has the best explanation I can find:
http://www.koni.com/car-racing/technology/faq/

imidazol97
09-04-2013, 08:45 AM

The camber indicates there's a problem with one of the links. Take a good look at the position of the parts. Check for the bushings and wear at the ends.

Check this diagram for your alignment.

http://www.genmotorinfo.com/FullImage.aspx?Make=Buick&Model=Lesabre&Year=2004&SectionID=07&SectionDesc=FRAMES,%20SPRINGS,%20SHOCKS,%20BUMPERS&PicDesc=SUSPENSION%2fREAR+-+H+&pid=041209GM07-045

maxwedge
09-04-2013, 09:02 AM
This is a common misconception. Koni has the best explanation I can find:
http://www.koni.com/car-racing/technology/faq/

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 4 Didn't see anything on the link, but I just replaced the rear air shocks on my 2003 Lesabre, and it is built as I stated.

enslow
09-04-2013, 01:34 PM
The explanation is in the answer to the second question. You're right that the rear strut does not include a spring.

from koni:

"Q: I often hear the terms strut and shock used interchangeably. Are they different?

A: Shocks and struts are similar in that they both damp (slow down) the vehicles motion. The key difference of a strut vs. a shock is that a shock only controls the cars motion while a strut is a locating member of the suspension. What this means is that if you remove a shock the spindle or axle will still be completely attached to the vehicle. If you remove a strut the spindle or axle will be able to move outside of its normal motion. Shocks and struts may or may not have a spring mounted to them either. It is often assumed that any damper with a spring is a strut, this is not the case."

If the strut only was changed, it is possible the nut securing the mount to the strut is loose.

Add your comment to this topic!