Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1998 Regal -- ABS unit to brake line fitting

idjikaity
08-24-2013, 09:35 AM
I would like to replace the brake line to the rear brakes, and I noticed that the brake line-to-ABS unit fittings have different threads. I already replaced the line to the Left-Rear brake, and it had a fitting with a thread M10-1.0. I tried to replace the line to the Right-Rear brake using a similar fitting M10-1.0, but it did not work. I just damaged the thread on the brake line fitting itself. Then I noticed that the thread on the current Right-Rear fitting is different. Does anybody know what that thread size should be (the fitting to the Right-Rear brake line)?
It is 98 Regal LS 3800 engine.
Thanks in advance!

gmtech1
08-24-2013, 06:07 PM
I would like to replace the brake line to the rear brakes, and I noticed that the brake line-to-ABS unit fittings have different threads. I already replaced the line to the Left-Rear brake, and it had a fitting with a thread M10-1.0. I tried to replace the line to the Right-Rear brake using a similar fitting M10-1.0, but it did not work. I just damaged the thread on the brake line fitting itself. Then I noticed that the thread on the current Right-Rear fitting is different. Does anybody know what that thread size should be (the fitting to the Right-Rear brake line)?
It is 98 Regal LS 3800 engine.
Thanks in advance!

Ok, I don't the thread size, but can you just cut the old line and take that fitting off, cut the new line, install the fitting and then flare it?

DeltaP
08-25-2013, 08:55 AM
That seems like the smart thing to do. But before I'd do that I'd take that thread pitch guage from a tap and die set and identify the threads for both the right and left sides. Seems odd that they would be different. Check the fittings for split threads and the ABS unit for cross threading. Not hard to do when handling semi rigid lines in tight spaces.

idjikaity
08-25-2013, 02:02 PM
There is a pic of an ABS pump for 1998 Regal

http://www.buyautoparts.com/buynow/1998/Buick/Regal/ABS_Pump/74-20014.html

in which the brake lines are colored differently, with alternating colors. There is no explanation for that but it kind of makes sens to me now. That is what I found on my own ABS pump ... One of two fittings that I opened has a visibly larger thread step, although the diameter is almost the same ....

Add your comment to this topic!