Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

blown fuses?

cc13153
08-19-2013, 01:14 PM
Someone please help me. I have a 99 alero that wont start. I have had 3 people look at it
And they don't seem to understand what's wrong with it. I was told to replace the ignition switch and to also get a new battery, which i did. It still wont start. I go to turn my key and it does absolutely nothing. Makes no noise, nothing. When i have it in the on position all my lights begin to flicker including my headlights. They also get very dim and it makes a fast clicking noise coming from the fuse box under my hood. What could this be? Someone told me that my security system needs to be reset and to put it in the on position for 10 mins, but nothing happened. Please someone let me know what's going on with this car. I'm a young single mother who doesn't have alot of money to put into this car, and if there is a simple and cheap way to fix it please let me know. thanks.

Tech II
08-19-2013, 03:32 PM
Was this something that was getting worse, or just happened all of a sudden?

Since a new battery was put in, I assume the battery cable connections are clean and tight....

Would help to know which relay is clicking in the underhood fuse box.....remove the cover and feel which relay is clicking....then pull it out....look at the underside of the fuse box cover, to see the name of the relay...with the relay pulled, do the lights stop flickering?

Who recommended replacing the ignition switch? Did a shop do this?

Any aftermarket accessories installed, like an alarm or remote start?

Vehicle scanned for codes?

Purple wire going to the starter solenoid, does it have power when the key is in the crank position?

any difference in symptoms, before and after the ignition switch was put in?

cc13153
08-19-2013, 04:37 PM
Yes this was something that just happened randomly. I
Drove the cat earlier that day and a few hrs later i went to leave
And it just wouldn't start. I had a friend of mine put the new ignition in
and after a few times of trying to start it is when all the lights
started flickering and the clicking started. I'm at work right now, but
When i get home i will try the things you suggested. Thank you

Add your comment to this topic!