Page updated on 11-21-2017

Time for a new airbrush.

willimo
08-17-2013, 09:23 PM
I know this has been covered bunches, but I haven't seen it in a while. What's everyone using for airbrushes these days?

I finally ruined my Paasche VL by soaking the entire body in lacquer thinner - I didn't realize the air valve assembly was removable, it was on so tight! - and I think it's pretty much toast. I've had that thing for over ten years and I think it's good reason to get a new airbrush entirely. I am wondering what everyone is using and having good results with.

I am even considering a nice single action airbrush, since I pretty much only ever use this to paint entire cars and don't really need that much control over the line. But, one day I do want to make the airplanes and tanks in my stash, so maybe I should stick with the flexibility that a double action affords me. I am also thinking maybe replacing my VL with a VL would be a good plan, since I have a few needle sizes and, now, almost a whole airbrush worth of spare parts.

Show us what you like!

freakray
08-17-2013, 09:43 PM
I have a Paasche VL I seldom use because I have an Iwata Revolution CR and a Iwata Eclipse HP-BCS which are my 2 go to airbrushes.

I swear by double action, the amount of extra control you get over a single is phenomenal.

Vric
08-18-2013, 12:19 AM
+1 for Iwata. Hp-cp here and I love it

Some_Kid
08-18-2013, 01:35 AM
I've got an iwata CR and an iwata kustom airbrush and they are absolutely the best. They blow the doors off any testors or badger airbrush. All mechanical, no plastic junk to get ruined by solvents.

nascar49
08-18-2013, 02:15 AM
I use a cheap double auction one from Harbor Freight, it does what I need it too, I do one day want to get a better brand A/B

MidMazar
08-18-2013, 09:38 AM
I have an iwata cr and have been using it for close to 10 years with no problems. Only thing i don't like about it is getting parts for it are a pain. Have to buy them online. For my next airbrush im leaning on getting a badger as parts are easier to find.

stevenoble
08-18-2013, 10:06 AM
I've been using a Tamiya Spraywork HG Wide for many years and it's been faultless to be honest. I also have in my arsenal an Iwata Revolution CR and that too has been a very nice brush which I can't fault.
But something you may consider, if you only need a single action is the Mr Hobby/GSI Procon Boy SQ. Cost about 35, with 0.4mm tip. Just got one of these a few months ago and been testing it since then. The quality and feel of the thing is unbelievable at this price. I now mainly only build cars and bikes and it's perfect for that. I rate it so highly, I'm thinking of getting another one to use purely for clear coating. It's an awesome brush for the money, which I really can't fault at all..

Vric
08-18-2013, 11:19 AM
Unless it changed, Tamiya airbrush are made by Iwata. Same great quality, but might be more expensive depending of where you are located.

EBay is a good place to score iwata airbrush at good price.

avd
08-18-2013, 11:34 AM
I have Iwata Eclipse HP-CS. I haven't get to chance to try out but will let you know soon.

willimo
08-18-2013, 12:30 PM
Wow, seems like Iwata is the way to go. Funny y'all say parts are hard to find, my LHS carries the Iwata CR and parts for it, I had to order parts for my Paasche online. Thanks for the tips guys, seems like a consensus!

MidMazar
08-18-2013, 01:21 PM
Wow, seems like Iwata is the way to go. Funny y'all say parts are hard to find, my LHS carries the Iwata CR and parts for it, I had to order parts for my Paasche online. Thanks for the tips guys, seems like a consensus!

Its the other way around for me, lhs here only carry badger parts. If i was you i would go with iwata then, many brushes for different purposes. Little pricey but an excellent product.

rgriffs
08-18-2013, 03:30 PM
this site may be of some use to you to help you make up your mind.

https://sites.google.com/site/donsairbrushtips/

jayll
08-18-2013, 04:49 PM
I use an Iwata HP-CS for most things and an Iwata - NEO siphon-feed for larger areas like car bodies.

MidMazar
08-18-2013, 05:01 PM
NEO siphon-feed for larger areas like car bodies.

That's one of the things I don't like about the iwata CR as I have to refill the cup a few times to paint a body.

freakray
08-18-2013, 06:50 PM
Hey Willimo, if you have a HobbyLobby in your town, they carry Iwata - couple this with their almost weekly 40% off coupon and you can get a great deal.

avd
08-18-2013, 10:54 PM
Hey Willimo, if you have a HobbyLobby in your town, they carry Iwata - couple this with their almost weekly 40% off coupon and you can get a great deal.

They still doing that? I bought my airbrush when I use 40% coupon

jayll
08-19-2013, 12:03 PM
That's one of the things I don't like about the iwata CR as I have to refill the cup a few times to paint a body.

I also like it because the HP-C has a .35 needle and the NEO has a .5 so you get more coverage.

Zonic2001
08-20-2013, 03:04 PM
Go for an Iwata... I have the Eclipse HP-CS and is my horse of airbrushes. I also have a German Harden & Steenbeck and Paasche and my Iwata is the best by far. For parts, I get them on-line from TCP Global and they are shipped immediately, usually getting them within 2 to 3 days. Not bad and no gas consumed to go to Hobby Lobby.

Chuck Kourouklis
08-22-2013, 05:35 PM
Haven't heard a single bad word about Iwata, so here's another endorsement second-hand for that one.

Got a gravity-feed Grex Tritium, and it's pretty 38DD too:

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-80343540264639_2269_129342047

Advantages: it comes with extra cups big enough to cover a body easily without refilling; huge bandwidth in the standard tip between fine line and full coverage; cool double-action trigger step between air flow and paint mixing; pistol grip is less fatiguing over long sprays.

Disadvantage: don't know how that grip or rubber trigger guard would appreciate a lacquer thinner soak. Neither seems to mind a swabbing with the stuff, though.

willimo
08-22-2013, 09:36 PM
Got a gravity-feed Grex Tritium, and it's pretty 38DD too:

Seems like we got a bit of an autocorrect insight about you! :evillol:

I got an Iwata Revolution CR, and am looking forward to using it. Though, I really think something like what you posted would be great as a second airbrush, since covering a body would be a lot easier (those narrow spray lines are so disheartening when I'm just starting a paint job). I got the Iwata because I realized I will be doing a lot of stenciling on my current RWB project, so I needed fine control after all, plus who knows what my next project will bring?

Thanks y'all!

Chuck Kourouklis
08-23-2013, 01:12 AM
Well. That was supposed to be my circumspect way of saying "it's tha titz."

Funnier if you read it as an AC, though, I must admit.

:cool:

Add your comment to this topic!