Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Need A/C in Texas

cletusfletes
08-03-2013, 09:59 PM
The a/c stopped blowing cold air when car is at idle, stop and go traffic! Blows ice cubes on the highway. So I noticed cooling fan(behind radiator) was not turning at full speed. I unplugged high pressure switch and plugged it back in, the fan came on high for just a minute. I replaced the switch, fan blowing normally now. Still not very cool at idle,though. I evac'd system and recharged. Still not as cold at idle, I can idle up engine to about 2500 rpm and the fan kicks on high and the a/c will blow cold. Any suggestions? I have been looking through forum and can't seem to find what I am looking for

cletusfletes
08-05-2013, 08:27 PM
ok so today when I got off work, I took the car to the carwash and sprayed the condenser with the high pressure rinse, thinking that maybe it could be help. No such luck!! I busted out a thermometer to see exactly what I am getting from the vents.
Idle=79 degrees
revved up to 2500 rpm=57 degrees
Soooo, any ideas?!?
I need some help!!!

brcidd
08-05-2013, 10:11 PM
Sounds like you have a scroll compressor- they need rpm to operate well. Stop at a dealership - test drive the same car- see if it acts the same way-

shorod
08-05-2013, 10:15 PM
Are you sure that when the system was evacuated and recharged it was recharged with the correct amount of R-134a? Sounds like it might be either under or over charged.

-Rod

joegr
08-06-2013, 11:18 AM
Sounds like you have a scroll compressor- they need rpm to operate well. Stop at a dealership - test drive the same car- see if it acts the same way-

Sorry - Wrong.
It's not a scroll. It's a variable displacement compressor, and it works perfectly fine at idle. The OP has an incorrectly charged system, a bad compressor (it happens) or a bad thermal expansion valve.

cletusfletes
08-13-2013, 11:12 PM
Well,I wanted to update all of you on my A/C issue. brcidd had mentioned scroll compressor,the next guy shot it down. So I researched it a little bit. Not real sure exactly what my compressor is called, but I purchased a Scroll Compressor Control Valve from TechChoice Parts in Midlothian Texas. Guess what?!? My wifes A/C is blowing cold AIR at ALL times now!!! It was a pretty easy install. Would have been easier with the compressor on a bench, but who's got time for that? Evac'd system,remove (2) 10 mm bolts that held on a plate, removed control valve,installed new one, put it all back together, charged it, test drove, and well,there ya go!!! Been blowing ice cold A/C since.
techchoiceparts.com
http://www.techchoiceparts.com/inventory/116597-scroll-compressor-control-valve-with-oringhttp://www.techchoiceparts.com/inventory/116597-scroll-compressor-control-valve-with-oring

joegr
08-15-2013, 06:40 PM
News to me. The manual says it is a variable displacement compressor. Anyway, I do know that when they are working correctly, they cool very well and low RPMs (idle).

Add your comment to this topic!