2002 blowing fuse 29 Auto headlights/O-Drive

deerefeed
08-03-2013, 06:33 AM
Fuse 29 was blown when I got my truck, automatic headlights and overdrive lock didn't work. I replaced the fuse, the lights came on and overdrive locked out but when I shifted into park the doors locked and the fuse blew. Any ideas how the door locks are related and why they would lock when shifting to park?

jyount
08-04-2013, 02:35 PM
Fuse 29 was blown when I got my truck, automatic headlights and overdrive lock didn't work. I replaced the fuse, the lights came on and overdrive locked out but when I shifted into park the doors locked and the fuse blew. Any ideas how the door locks are related and why they would lock when shifting to park?

Yes, the overdrive button on the shifter has two wires, one of them is chaffed and shorting out, most likely on the steering column right behind the wheel under the plastic covers. Mine had the exact problem. If you have keyless entry the fuse is common to that too. That is how I found mine, had to key it to unlock it. Mine didn't have auto headlights so I had to do it manually anyway.

deerefeed
08-04-2013, 03:00 PM
Yes, the overdrive button on the shifter has two wires, one of them is chaffed and shorting out, most likely on the steering column right behind the wheel under the plastic covers. Mine had the exact problem. If you have keyless entry the fuse is common to that too. That is how I found mine, had to key it to unlock it. Mine didn't have auto headlights so I had to do it manually anyway.
What's involved in taking the steering wheel cover off? I would think the air bag needs to be disabled. Can I disconnect the overdrive lock wires somewhere more easily accessible?

Add your comment to this topic!