Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

best practise

Pugnuts
08-01-2013, 08:21 PM
For a while I've wanted to ask what everybody else does for painting the chasis/floor of a car as far as the contact points. Do you scrape off after painting where you want to glue or do you mask the holes, slots, grooves etc? How do you like to mask? Ive tried both and don't like either! What do you do?

avd
08-01-2013, 09:27 PM
You know, that is a good question. I also want to know how ya do that.

935k3
08-01-2013, 09:59 PM
Nether. I usually figure out a mechanical way through tabs , pins etc to mount the chassis to the body without glue. I also do that with allot of sub assemblies.

nugundam93
08-04-2013, 02:57 PM
if there's no way to mechanically connect them, i just scrape the mounting points.

though most of the time i do get lazy and glue 'em, paint and all. :D

935k3
08-04-2013, 09:52 PM
I have always thought of a way to do it without glue. I have not glued a body to a chassis in 25 years. You do nee a good selection of plastic,pins and a pin vise but there is always a way to do it.

Pugnuts
08-04-2013, 10:50 PM
Well thanks for the replies everybody. It isn't really the body I'm concerned with because I don't glue that either. It's the fire extinguishers, roll cage, seats, suspension and all the other things. I hate it after a few years when the paint gives way and it all starts falling apart. I mask with tape, blu-tack, toothpicks in the holes, whatever and a lot of scraping but I"m hoping for a brainy person with some better ideas than mine.

Add your comment to this topic!