Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Rear (auxiliary) heater hose leak

SuperDanny
08-01-2013, 08:12 PM
Just discovered one of my rear heater hoses is leaking where the quick connect plastic fitting meets the metal crimp for the hose. This looks like a one piece section that runs from the rear heater core up near the front near a frame rail. Must be expensive.

So would anyone have GM part numbers (or diagrams) for these rear heater hoses or better yet, has anyone experience with cutting off the crimps on either side of the short rubber hoses in the back and simply replacing with worm style clams and new rubber hose?

I can't believe GM uses the stupid hose/crimp approach and quick connect. Just like the oil cooler tubes, they always leak!

chuck's
09-02-2013, 03:51 PM
As you suggested, cutting the crimp off and installing a gear clamp will work fine. I have removed the crimp from my oil cooler lines, replaced the rubber hose and secured the hoses with gear clamps. I suspect that over time from heating and cooling the hose shrinks somewhat causing the crimp to be loose. The cost of a gear clamp will be cheaper than replacing the line.
chuck's

Add your comment to this topic!