Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

replacing intake gaskets

barinina
08-01-2013, 11:22 AM
Hey guys, I'm new to working on vehicles because my dad is usually out there to fix my 2001 grand am. well, he hasn't wanted to work on it and it had been siting out for months so I'm in the process of replacing the intake gaskets. What I need to know is how in the world do I get all the coolant gunk out of the engine? I cleaned what I could see (around the rocker arms and such) but its still on the dipstick and I know its lingering around either. Any tips on how to got rid off it? (like I said, I'm new to this)

Tech II
08-01-2013, 12:23 PM
Wait a minute......

You are doing an intake?

Was this checked out before disassembly? The fact that you have a lot of coolant mixed with your oil, makes me think possible headgasket....this should have been determined, headgasket vs. intake gasket, BEFORE anything was done.....

If you have a headgasket problem, and only replace just the intake gaskets, then you will be doing the job all over again.....

You are aware that, with all this coolant mixed with the oil, you have introduced the possibility of bearing damage in the engine......

You don't say how many miles are on the engine/car, the condition of the car, the condition of the tranny.....this would all factor in as to whether this engine should be repaired, replaced, or just junk the car.....

Add your comment to this topic!