Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

V8 Supercars

michel1973
08-01-2013, 01:13 AM
Can anyone tell me, of there is a kit of the V8 Supercar series from Australia?
Until now I haven't found any , even not during our vacations in Australia.

TvD
08-01-2013, 01:21 AM
Hi Michel,

I've been looking for one myself as well, and have come to the conclusion no kit of a modern V8 supercar exists. I did find a lot of diecast while in Australia, but no plastic kits.

malscar
08-01-2013, 03:06 AM
No kits. There was a couple of resin bodies done in 1/24 many years ago of the original VN Commodore raced. The market is way too small plus they would be competing against the 1/64,1/43 and 1/18 diecast models made. Even they have found it hard to sell these over the last few years.

Zonic2001
08-01-2013, 09:52 AM
Food for thoughts... Even when there is no kit available for the specific car that we want to build, sometimes we find a car kit that is similar and then we make our own changes to the original kit (scratch built some items) and make it look look like what we want. You can even print your own decals. That is the good thing about our hobby!!! Be creative!!! Enjoy it.

da_ashman
08-01-2013, 07:21 PM
Sadly no there are no kits available for the V8 supercars, there are only 1:18 diecasts, which are pretty detailed & there are heaps of them, most teams have their current year livery available & previous years too. Id love a 1:24 kit but i cant see that ever happening, the NZ & Austrailia Model car market is just too small

stump
08-02-2013, 05:59 PM
Michel1973, yes sadly, what these guys have reported is indeed what we have on V8 Supercars......very little to nothing. :shakehead

The VN Commodore which Mal mentions was quite rough in my opinion, as were most bodies from that supplier. They were cast in a fiberglass resin which was very brittle and difficult to work with.

Another very talented modeller/caster made a 1/24 VK Commodore which was excellent, but very limited in production, seeing as some dimwit decided to "copy" and sell inferior bodies on ebay. The original maker stopped selling after that. :frown:

I'm being VERY optimistic here, but I would hope that with the currant line up now including both Nissan and Mercedes, maybe.....just maybe it will convince a Plastic kit Manufacturer to make some "generic" versions, and let the decal market go wild. :thinkerg:

That's just my wish though......

lovegt40
08-03-2013, 02:16 AM
too small market for the nicest championship of the world.

gasdriverca
08-12-2013, 06:48 PM
There is the Shells from the V8 supercars but they are for slotcars & are made from 0.5mm PETG clear plastic(used for the RC bodies). They are in 1/24 & are for both Ford Falcon & Holden Commodore.
Details not the greatest but with a little work should be ok.
I bought them from Patto's Place where you can get the decals for the cars too!
There is no chassis or anything for them so you will have to use a donor kit close to what you need or scratch build one like I'm doing at the moment.
I'm scratch building the Ford Falcon at the moment & if its any good I'll probably cast it & use it for the Holden Commodore also,they have pretty similar interiors IMO.
My problem I have right now is trying to get the doors etched to give it depth & also the head & tail lights. The decals supply the lights but dont look right to me as decals.I'd like to use proper lights like the normal kits but am having a hard time to get a good match.
I'm thinking of using the Subaru2004 WRC lights but not 100% on the idea yet.
the wheels I'm using are Hobby Design 19" Rays Volk racing G12 which I find to be the closest to the real ones( the real 1/1 wheels are actually 17" but larger diameter rims will give it a better stance).
Seat & steering wheel from Opel Astra V8 Coupe DTM.
Brake & discs from Alfa Romeo. & so on etc......whatever I can find that is the closest parts I'll use!

Fangi0
08-13-2013, 12:09 AM
As of this year (Car of the Future) the wheels are 18 inch, and all cars are based on an identical chassis..... Realistically, the engine (and bodyshell) are the only variables.

If anyone was going to do it as a short-run kit, now's the time.... a common chassis , and it's becoming a more 'international series with Nissan and Mercedes already in, and Volvo joining next year....

5 different body shells, loads of different decals..... Just a pipe dream though...

Add your comment to this topic!