Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Inside Brake Pad Rubbing Rotor

BananaSlug
07-30-2013, 06:35 PM
I replaced the front brake calipers with remanufactured ones on my '79 E-150 and also replaced the brake hoses. The pads have only a few thousand miles on them. I lubed the sliding surfaces and the calipers move freely.

However, the inside pad which is stationary and not mounted in the caliper is making a really loud metallic scrapping noise when the wheel rotates. The anti rattle spring is installed okay. I took the caliper off and reinstalled the pad and it still does it. Can't see anything else contacting rotor. Never did this before.

ASE AMD
08-02-2013, 06:34 PM
The pads not going to make a loud noise. Make sure the clips aren't rubbing. The ones that hold the pads tight in the caliper. Look at the rotor for abnormal wear or cuts. Also check ur wheel bearings for excessive play. I'm just throwing ideas out there for u. But if it doesn't sound like the pad its probably not. U could try removing the clips and see if it goes away.

BananaSlug
08-02-2013, 08:43 PM
I neglected to note that the truck hasn't been driven in a while. I noticed a band of rust across the rotor with some built up worse in areas. It's hard to see the back side because of the backing plate but I pulled out the pad and stuck a mirror behind it. I had previously sanded/wire wheeled it but there is still enough there that it might be the problem. If I pull the rotor and either grind the rust off or have them turned I think it will be okay. I'll also check the bearings, ect. like you suggest. Thanks for your advice.

Add your comment to this topic!