Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Question on CV axle shafts

ASJT3
07-30-2013, 03:22 PM
Hey guys,

I don't have much experience working on CV axle shafts so I'm wondering if you can help me determine what needs to be done for my 93 K1500 350. I've noticed the boots on both axle shafts at the wheel hub are cracked and grease is leaking out onto the lower control arm. Is it worth removing the axle shafts, the old boots, disassembling the CV joint, repacking and installing a new boot or should I just replace with brand new axle shafts? The truck had 230k miles when I got it now has 233k and I don't know the last time they were replaced.

Thanks,

Alex

gmtech1
07-30-2013, 03:49 PM
Hey guys,

I don't have much experience working on CV axle shafts so I'm wondering if you can help me determine what needs to be done for my 93 K1500 350. I've noticed the boots on both axle shafts at the wheel hub are cracked and grease is leaking out onto the lower control arm. Is it worth removing the axle shafts, the old boots, disassembling the CV joint, repacking and installing a new boot or should I just replace with brand new axle shafts? The truck had 230k miles when I got it now has 233k and I don't know the last time they were replaced.

Thanks,

Alex

:2cents: My 2 cents...with the miles and the work involved, I'd replace the axle shafts.

Add your comment to this topic!