Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

84 Ninety-eight tranny leak

oldslover67
07-25-2013, 08:50 AM
I have an 84 Ninety eight with 89,400 miles on it. I learned how to drive in an 82 Ninety eight :). So I love Oldsmobile.

3 months ago a shop changed the tranny filter and flushed the tranny. I have read here that it was bad to flush. To make matters worse they put synthetic in my car without my permission. :confused: I don't think that was a good move.

Next, My wonderful husband left the cap off the radiator and it overheated. Yes he is still alive.

We have changed the oil, thermostat, drained the radiator, changed hoses including thermostat-water pump hose and I added a engine restore product.

Now my seals on the valve cover burn oil mildly and we are having tranny problems. It is not shifting into gear after 45 mph and it is shifting hard before 45 - more like the engine was shoved (ugly feeling).

Is it worth putting the money into a new or rebuilt tranny?

Body is Awesome, little surface rust, no pitting or major dents (needs a paint job but that was planned for this fall).

It was stored in a garage for 25 years with no vent and the windows up. So paint peeled and headliner shredded after we began driving it.

I have a neighbor who connected us to a great mechanic for a reasonable price. I want to drive the wheels off and my husband wants a car payment. Any help would be wonderful. I have a mechanically dis-inclined husband who does not drive.

Add your comment to this topic!