Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'05 Sunfire (AKA Cavalier) LH or RH Brake Caliper

maxman
07-22-2013, 09:18 PM
I've always considered the LH side of the vehicle the drivers side and the RH side the passenger side. This has got to be correct.

On my son's 2005 Sunfire, we are replacing the calipers, rotors, and wheel bearings on both sides of the front. The rebuilt calipers ($16) were cheaper then replacement hardware (pins and bolts). Both sides were frozen up so I opted for the rebuild calipers. I have opposite hand calipers, one is labeled RH and the other is labeled LH. The rebuilt calipers have "R" and "L" right in the casting which matches the label and box that each caliper came in.

However, the caliper on the drivers side matched the RH rebuilt caliper. I tried to put the caliper marked LH on the drivers side but it would not go on. The caliper bolts would not line up because the inner brake pad prevented it from doing so. It will not go on! The caliper marked RH went right on the drivers side exactly how the caliper that was on came off. The location of the bleeder screw is on top exactly like the caliper that came off.

I have not taken the RH (passenger side) apart yet. What am I missing?

gmtech1
07-23-2013, 08:49 AM
I've always considered the LH side of the vehicle the drivers side and the RH side the passenger side. This has got to be correct.

On my son's 2005 Sunfire, we are replacing the calipers, rotors, and wheel bearings on both sides of the front. The rebuilt calipers ($16) were cheaper then replacement hardware (pins and bolts). Both sides were frozen up so I opted for the rebuild calipers. I have opposite hand calipers, one is labeled RH and the other is labeled LH. The rebuilt calipers have "R" and "L" right in the casting which matches the label and box that each caliper came in.

However, the caliper on the drivers side matched the RH rebuilt caliper. I tried to put the caliper marked LH on the drivers side but it would not go on. The caliper bolts would not line up because the inner brake pad prevented it from doing so. It will not go on! The caliper marked RH went right on the drivers side exactly how the caliper that was on came off. The location of the bleeder screw is on top exactly like the caliper that came off.

I have not taken the RH (passenger side) apart yet. What am I missing?

You are correct, left is drivers, right is passenger. I'm guessing the problem probably lies in the 16$ calipers...

maxman
07-23-2013, 10:50 AM
The $16 calipers are rebuilt OEM castings. Exact same with new seals and cleaned up. The castings are marked LH and RH. The LH casting will not go on the drivers side. I'll pull the wheel off my cavalier and compare the orientation of the bleeder.

kdj6930
08-10-2013, 06:18 AM
The $16 calipers are rebuilt OEM castings. Exact same with new seals and cleaned up. The castings are marked LH and RH. The LH casting will not go on the drivers side. I'll pull the wheel off my cavalier and compare the orientation of the bleeder.

Just cause they're rebuilt don't assume they were OEM to begin with. If the caliper matches up "exactly" to the original it's correct, regardless of the markings. I install parts everyday that are not OEM and I know from experience that these issues are sometimes confusing.

IAN442
11-03-2013, 01:34 AM
If you are using the calipers from AZ or ADV...

I replaced my right caliper and it fit right away, I know from doing it though that the bolts are complete different in diameter when you go to put the new calipers in.

I think the old ones are 8mm, while the new ones I believe are a 10 mm. Be sure to compress the new caliper all the way in after you hook up the brake line it should slide in with the new shoe after that.

Hope that helps,

IAN442

Add your comment to this topic!