Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1st Studio 27 Model, have questions

The 3rd Placer
07-21-2013, 01:52 PM
Hello,

I'm a experienced model builder in other areas (tanks and aircraft), but not much in cars.

I found a S27 kit I really want to build and have some questions.

1. is it necessary to clear coat the turned aluminum wheels?

2. The resin headlights are yellowed, is there a way to make them usable.

Kit is the 1/24 Nissan GTP-ZXT.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Ryan

Hemi Killer
07-21-2013, 03:38 PM
All I know is that for clear resin that yellows, you may be able to fix it with a polishing compound, or a very light sanding then polishing compound. I have done this outside of the modelling world, but I'm sure it will work the same.

machined aluminum can smudge and smear easily, clear coating is probably just to protect them and keep them clean. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

racer93
07-22-2013, 08:51 AM
All I know is that for clear resin that yellows, you may be able to fix it with a polishing compound, or a very light sanding then polishing compound. I have done this outside of the modelling world, but I'm sure it will work the same.

machined aluminum can smudge and smear easily, clear coating is probably just to protect them and keep them clean. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
I've honestly never heard of clearing turned pieces. I've heard people clearing white metal parts but I have never done it and have never had any problems. Who knows who's right...I don't! I just don't see any benefit.

RonCla
07-22-2013, 10:18 PM
I've never clear coated any of the aluminum rims in the multi media kits I've purchased nor any of the rims I've machined myself.

Pieces I've polished decades ago are still shining the same today.

You may have to look for replacements for your headlights.

MidMazar
07-25-2013, 11:53 PM
I would do the same as posted.....just polish the. An ull be fine. I have the same kit, an the clear parts a little yellowed the rear lights u can paint from the outside so u wont tell, but the front lights and signal lights thats another story. My plan is to resin copy them with clear resin. Polishing the might work but never tried. Good luck.

Btw is the kit u have the red/blue/white one?

The 3rd Placer
07-28-2013, 06:01 AM
I would do the same as posted.....just polish the. An ull be fine. I have the same kit, an the clear parts a little yellowed the rear lights u can paint from the outside so u wont tell, but the front lights and signal lights thats another story. My plan is to resin copy them with clear resin. Polishing the might work but never tried. Good luck.

Btw is the kit u have the red/blue/white one?

Thanks everyone for the tips, yes it's the Brabham driven #83 in red white and blue. Do you think the white decals will be dense enough over the blue?

Ryan

MidMazar
07-28-2013, 09:34 AM
You won't know until you try, in my opinion i would paint it if possible. Good luck.
Check out this great WIP from scalemaster........http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=1082640&highlight=300zx

The 3rd Placer
07-29-2013, 11:41 AM
Maybe a general question then, do the S-27 white decals usually have good density?

Thanks again!

Ryan

RonCla
07-29-2013, 05:45 PM
Maybe a general question then, do the S-27 white decals usually have good density?

Thanks again!

Ryan

My S27 kits have all had Cartograf decals and have been excellent.

Check to see that the decal sheet has ' printed by Cartograf ' on it and you shouldn't have any issues with density.

Add your comment to this topic!