Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

03 Suburban heated seats

NINFan
07-19-2013, 08:21 AM
The driver's side heated seat is not working. It comes on for a second, then shuts off. I searched the forums, and it sounds like it's the element. I can hear the relay in the center console click on, then right back off after a few seconds. Is there a way to test the system and determine exactly what's wrong? I'd hate to replace the wrong component.
Thanks!

gmtech1
07-19-2013, 11:28 AM
The driver's side heated seat is not working. It comes on for a second, then shuts off. I searched the forums, and it sounds like it's the element. I can hear the relay in the center console click on, then right back off after a few seconds. Is there a way to test the system and determine exactly what's wrong? I'd hate to replace the wrong component.
Thanks!

You can measure the resistance of the elements, Should be around 3ohms...

NINFan
07-19-2013, 02:59 PM
Thanks! So 3 ohms across the entire pad? Looks (from the internet) like there is more than one element in each pad.

gmtech1
07-19-2013, 03:06 PM
Thanks! So 3 ohms across the entire pad? Looks (from the internet) like there is more than one element in each pad.

There will be two small green connectors under the seat, one is for the back element and one is for the seat cushion. disconnect and measure between the two terminals in each connector.

NINFan
08-02-2013, 06:22 AM
Sorry for the delay, but as you can imagine, repairing the seat heater is not the highest priority in the middle of the summer. I didn't really see two small green connectors. Attached are pics of what it looks like under the seat. These don't look like what I'm supposed to be looking for. Am I looking in the wrong place?

gmtech1
08-02-2013, 09:41 AM
Sorry for the delay, but as you can imagine, repairing the seat heater is not the highest priority in the middle of the summer. I didn't really see two small green connectors. Attached are pics of what it looks like under the seat. These don't look like what I'm supposed to be looking for. Am I looking in the wrong place?

http://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/acebiz/ACDelco_88940288_EB.jpg

The connectors should look something the one in the top left of this photo. They may be attached at the bottom of the seat cushion or the base of the seatback. You may need to take the seat loose to locate them.

NINFan
08-10-2013, 01:13 PM
So I took the seat up and found the one connector for the seat bottom. I took a bunch of pics, so I'll post up a DIY soon.
There was 4.5 Ohms resistance across that heater. I assume that's close enough to 3 Ohms to not worry about it. If the element was broken it would be open. If it were shorted, it would be 0. Can't seem to find the connector for the seat back. There's a wire (taped) that comes out of the base of the back of the seat, and which goes into the wires where the green connector for the seat bottom is, but I don't see a separate green connector.

Add your comment to this topic!