Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Changed out both hubs - ABS lights still on!

litsz02
07-17-2013, 03:03 PM
Hi there -- new the forum, nice to meet ya :)

I had a question , was hoping for a little direction...

I have an 01 Alero, and I'm trying to figure out how to get these ABS lights off my dash.

Last night, I replaced both my left front and right front Hubs, thinking it was the wheel sensor, according to the codes I was getting. I started the car up, and no lights were present, however after driving a little bit I saw the lights come on again.
I went a step further and hooked up a Tech2 system to a friends laptop and went for a drive again. This time I noticed, my left front wheel speed was 0, while the other 3 were showing the speed I was going. So once I got over about 5 mph, the lights went on. Left front was always 0.

Now, since its a new hub and sensor, what else could be the problem? I thought it could be the wiring harness, but I would think if there was a bad connection , they would immediately come on as soon as I start my car...

Anyone have any ideas? Could it be a bad EBCM if its specific to the left front?

gmtech1
07-17-2013, 08:54 PM
Hi there -- new the forum, nice to meet ya :)

I had a question , was hoping for a little direction...

I have an 01 Alero, and I'm trying to figure out how to get these ABS lights off my dash.

Last night, I replaced both my left front and right front Hubs, thinking it was the wheel sensor, according to the codes I was getting. I started the car up, and no lights were present, however after driving a little bit I saw the lights come on again.
I went a step further and hooked up a Tech2 system to a friends laptop and went for a drive again. This time I noticed, my left front wheel speed was 0, while the other 3 were showing the speed I was going. So once I got over about 5 mph, the lights went on. Left front was always 0.

Now, since its a new hub and sensor, what else could be the problem? I thought it could be the wiring harness, but I would think if there was a bad connection , they would immediately come on as soon as I start my car...

Anyone have any ideas? Could it be a bad EBCM if its specific to the left front?

Very common for the speed sensor harnesses to break, many times they will break inside the insulation and appear ok. They usually break where they loop upward and fasten to the control arm, about 4-5" back from the connector. Replacement harnesses are about 70.00 from a dealer.

Tech II
07-17-2013, 08:56 PM
My money is on the harness...

Add your comment to this topic!