Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Carbon Fiber Decal Question

bah humbug
07-10-2013, 11:35 PM
Oh jeez, it's been very long since I last posted here.

I picked up the D1 FC kit recently and decided to build it for old time's sake.

My main question is do you guys clear coat over carbon fiber decals?
How is the finish? I imagine it would be difficult to get a nice smooth paint like finish over a whole hood decal.

If the finish wasn't at the quality you're looking for do you guys actually fine sand the clear and risk going too far?

I'm really not familiar working with carbon fiber decals, and hoping you guys can help me get the job done right with this model.

r33nz
07-11-2013, 03:31 AM
I always clear over CF decals, the finish has always been spot on, I do the ‘sneak up approach’ with many light coats followed by a wet coat or two
You might want to try some decal solution to get the decal nice and flat first

As long as you have a thick enough layer, polishing out the clear shouldn’t be an issue

nugundam93
07-11-2013, 06:52 AM
i put 2 light coats of smoke over the decal, then a couple of thin coats of clear. polishing shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't use rough grits of sandpaper to start your wetsanding with (avoid 1500 and rougher). and try to avoid applying too much pressure (which i always manage to do, lol) to avoid sanding down to the decal.

Zonic2001
07-12-2013, 07:40 AM
i put 2 light coats of smoke over the decal, then a couple of thin coats of clear. polishing shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't use rough grits of sandpaper to start your wetsanding with (avoid 1500 and rougher). and try to avoid applying too much pressure (which i always manage to do, lol) to avoid sanding down to the decal.

I have never smoked the CF decal therefore, was wondering why you smoke the decal before the clear coat? What does it do different if you like to share with us? Thanks!

Vric
07-12-2013, 09:10 AM
I have never smoked the CF decal therefore, was wondering why you smoke the decal before the clear coat? What does it do different if you like to share with us? Thanks!

it darken it. It's not a "must do" step.
Depending on the decal you use, it could be useless.

Zonic2001
07-12-2013, 10:23 AM
it darken it. It's not a "must do" step.
Depending on the decal you use, it could be useless.

yeah that is the obvious but I thought it might add a different perspective. Thanks for the verification.

Add your comment to this topic!