Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1998 Camry help.

Captainmark87
07-06-2013, 02:34 PM
Hello everyone. I need some advice. My daily driver is a 1998 Toyota Camry v6 with 130,000 miles. At highway speeds 60-70mph, when backing off the gas the vehicle starts to buck. When exiting the highway, I have to put the vehicle in neutral to keep it from staling and increase the rpms. The vehicle does not do this all the time. Also, the check engine light does not come on when this happens. I recently had the original plugs changed and the solenoids replaced. The check engine light appeared because of the faulty solenoids. Your help would be greatly appreciated. P.S. The accelerator will also stick a little when the above happens. Thanks.

Mike Gerber
07-06-2013, 09:33 PM
You most likely have a dirty throttle body. The sticking accelerator is a good indicator of this. The throttle valve is probably sticking in the open position when you remove your foot from the accelerator. It should return to the closed or idle position when you remove your foot from the accelerator. Do a search on this forum for "throttle body cleaning". This is an easy DIY fix.

Mike

Captainmark87
07-07-2013, 08:07 PM
You most likely have a dirty throttle body. The sticking accelerator is a good indicator of this. The throttle valve is probably sticking in the open position when you remove your foot from the accelerator. It should return to the closed or idle position when you remove your foot from the accelerator. Do a search on this forum for "throttle body cleaning". This is an easy DIY fix.

Mike
Thanks Mike, I'll give it a shot.

Add your comment to this topic!