Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

installing the overhead compartment

gw84
06-27-2013, 09:48 PM
When I bought my 95 silverado the owner told me that he installed the overhead compartment (cd holder/sunglasses holder/map lights/etc) as well as an oem mirror that had a directional indicator. He told me these didn't come on this truck and that he either installed them himself or had someone do it. I can tell this because there's a screw towards the middle of the cab holding the unit up into the ceiling. My question is, if my [1999] K1500 doesn't have either of these options, is it possible to install them myself? How do you do something like this? I want to install both or either of the options if I can find the parts in the junkyard.

Schurkey
06-29-2013, 03:58 PM
I want to install both or either of the options if I can find the parts in the junkyard.
When you take the parts off the vehicle in the Treasure Yard, you'll learn all you need to know about how to install them on your vehicle.

Be sure to track down and collect all the wires, brackets, and fasteners.

Hope nothing is controlled by the computer, or you may have to update the software.

gw84
11-19-2013, 07:38 PM
When you take the parts off the vehicle in the Treasure Yard, you'll learn all you need to know about how to install them on your vehicle.

Be sure to track down and collect all the wires, brackets, and fasteners.

Hope nothing is controlled by the computer, or you may have to update the software.

I finally got around to trying this today at the junkyard.. The console itself is only held in with a screw or two so that part was easy, then disconnecting the wires between the console and the roof of the truck. I looked around in some trucks that didn't have the overhead console and while they all DID have the holes that hold the console up to the ceiling, they didn't have the wires that I would plug in to......Would I need to chase down the end of the wire from a truck WITH a console? (remove the wire above the drivers visor, behind the trim, etc?). I read somewhere online that this guy had to splice it into the wire for the dome light somehow....Not sure how to do that...where would you run the second (the ground??) wire?

Schurkey
11-19-2013, 10:06 PM
Either you find a wire harness...or you make one.

Add your comment to this topic!