Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2003 Corolla won't turn over

oldandforgetful
06-23-2013, 06:31 PM
The Corolla was starting yesterday, but slow. Went and bought a new battery and replaced the old one. Cleaned both cables very good. Now all the lights work, everything electrical works fine, but the car will not turn over, not a lick! Please give me some idea, of something to check, before I have to have this thing towed to the shop, which I really cannot afford.

oldandforgetful
06-25-2013, 07:12 PM
Thanks for all the informative replies on this forum (NOT!) 36 views and not a single suggestion. Well, thanks to Brian R (Read this before posting) thanks to him, I finally got that thing started. As silly as it may sound, I took an old brooms handle and tapped lightly on the starter and the darn thing started right up. Just wanted to pass this along in case someone else has the same problem. It was my Daughter's car and it cost $754.00, to get it fixed at the Toyota dealership (Highway Robbery), but it is up and going and out of my hair. There should be a law put through congress to protect people from such a rip off. I'm 71 years old, spent 25 years in the auto parts business (same store) and I know a little about parts and how much they cost, but I am just to old to work on them anymore. If I sound old and cranky, that is because I AM!

Brian R.
06-26-2013, 03:45 PM
I'm old and cranky too. :)

Glad to see you got it starting.

For those not acquainted with this issue, his problem was probably the starter solenoid contacts. They can be replaced for around $25 with an couple hours time. See the FAQ thread.

Add your comment to this topic!