Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Points gap for 1967 Ford F-100

hondadad2622
06-18-2013, 07:58 PM
Hi,

I cannot find specs for Points on my truck. My dad use to set them using a match book cover. Not that talented! Should condenser automatically be changed with points. 352 engine FYI,

Thanks

65comet
06-19-2013, 07:34 AM
12 to 17 thousandths is recommended. I always set at 15. Whenever I got new points, a new condenser came with it. So I always changed it.

jyount
06-20-2013, 10:55 PM
Without it your points would burn up in no time flat. This is an added benefit, but not the primary reason for it. It is a good idea if for no other reason to protect your new points, plus they usually come as a kit. With that said, beware aftermarket condensers are crap sometimes... It controls the power flow to a smooth transition instead of all at once like arcing hot to ground or such. It is a capacitor, it is charged via oscillation and primary coil stuff etc etc that you don't care about. When the rapid discharge to the secondary side takes place the condenser discharges to make sure the power is there. Low or weak fire is actually what takes the points out if not oxidation etc.

When the points open the flow of current stops causing the magnetic field in the coil to collapse. This induces the spark. When the capacitor (condenser) is added it will absorb a charge causing the field to collapse more and faster and will induce a hotter spark. Also as mentioned before it will suppress arcing at the points.

spoiler429
06-21-2013, 01:31 PM
Ford point gap is normally .017" for a single hose vacuum advance and .019" for a duel hose vacuum advance

spoiler429
06-21-2013, 01:35 PM
One other thing be sure to lube the cam where the point set rub block contacts it. There is a specific lube for this application, if you don't lube it you will not get much service from your new points.

Add your comment to this topic!