Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

04 power windows not working

GT57
06-18-2013, 11:48 AM
About a year ago replaced the switch on drivers side. Both windows worked till about a week ago. This time the switch on drivers side and pass side no longer work either window.

Is there a fuse for the power windows? I looked on both sides of dash and couldnt find any.

Would the switch on drivers side going completely out cause the pass side one to stop working too? Didnt last time.

gmtech1
06-18-2013, 11:59 AM
About a year ago replaced the switch on drivers side. Both windows worked till about a week ago. This time the switch on drivers side and pass side no longer work either window.

Is there a fuse for the power windows? I looked on both sides of dash and couldnt find any.

Would the switch on drivers side going completely out cause the pass side one to stop working too? Didnt last time.

Yes, the switch could cause both windows not to work. Is there power on the yellow wire to the switch? It could have a bad ground/broken ground wire also. I would expose the wires in the loom between the drivers door and the "A" pillar and look for broken wires...

GT57
06-18-2013, 12:36 PM
I need to check that. Was waiting on more info before I tore in again.

Thanks.....

autojoe
06-18-2013, 08:29 PM

Tech II
06-18-2013, 10:00 PM
Very easy to test with a test light......

Like GMTech1 said, you check for power and ground into the master switch, and at the PS switch.......possibilities are a bad master switch, bad ground, no power, or break in the wire harness at the "A" pillar on the driver's side....

This image is a little better:

Disconnect the master switch harness....check for power at "G"(yellow), and ground at "B"(black)......If both ok, then using two jumper wires, connect G to E(dark blue) and B to D(brown).....this should make the window go down(key has to be in "on" position).....reversing the wires, the window goes up.....if it does, you have a bad master switch....

http://repairguide.autozone.com/znetrgs/repair_guide_content/en_us/images/0996b43f/80/24/1e/45/large/0996b43f80241e45.gif

GT57
06-22-2013, 03:31 PM
Just to update.

I was waiting on new PW switch and mirror switch (being I broke mirror switch last time putting in PW switch). :screwy:

Any how had everything off to pull door panel and thought to myself. Why not check to see if the PW switch has a short or loose connection. So I reached my hand in there and found the wire connection had came out of switch. Plugged it back in and had power to all wires and all 3 switches work again. Both on drivers and passenger door.

Told the wife I'm just going to hold onto the mirror switch and other new switch for now and not pull the door panel off. Being we both drive with mirrors in same local.

Add your comment to this topic!