Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Starting Issue?????

FlowTymz
06-18-2013, 07:41 AM
Let me start by telling you what I got, 94 K1500 5.7 w/ automatic, now what it's doing bout 2 months ago stopped at the store, got to my truck and wouldn't start!!!!:eek7: Gotta buddy to tow it home got in the next morn just for shits and giggles and it started just fine?? Now last week same thing, but this time it wont start at all twice I've got it to start since last Monday, It has new battery, alt, starter, both hot and ground cables have been checked as well....Now my question is this, could the switch in the column be bad or have a short I it?? Already had to replace an ignition switch in a 97 but it would at least turn over, this truck wont do anything :banghead: the dash comes on like it going to start, turn the key and noting happens

MT-2500
06-18-2013, 08:47 AM
IF engine does not turn over.
Check starter and battery system.
Will it turn over with a jumper?
Doe the starter get 12 volts on small purple ire to solenoid in start position?

FlowTymz
06-18-2013, 11:47 AM
Nope truck will not jump with a jump box or another truck, solenoid has 12v!!
Where do I go from this point?? also didn't mention in my first post (slipped my mind) the wiper controls have been screwing up as well, just wondering if the column may have some issues? Could the gear selector safety switch have something going on with it?:confused:

MT-2500
06-18-2013, 01:17 PM
nope truck will not jump with a jump box or another truck, solenoid has 12v!!
Where do i go from this point?? Also didn't mention in my first post (slipped my mind) the wiper controls have been screwing up as well, just wondering if the column may have some issues? Could the gear selector safety switch have something going on with it?:confused:

12 volts on the small purple wire/post when in start position?

ASJT3
06-21-2013, 08:07 AM
Let me start by telling you what I got, 94 K1500 5.7 w/ automatic, now what it's doing bout 2 months ago stopped at the store, got to my truck and wouldn't start!!!!:eek7: Gotta buddy to tow it home got in the next morn just for shits and giggles and it started just fine?? Now last week same thing, but this time it wont start at all twice I've got it to start since last Monday, It has new battery, alt, starter, both hot and ground cables have been checked as well....Now my question is this, could the switch in the column be bad or have a short I it?? Already had to replace an ignition switch in a 97 but it would at least turn over, this truck wont do anything :banghead: the dash comes on like it going to start, turn the key and noting happens

When you say both hot and ground cables were checked, did you mean you checked the starter leads coming from the engine? They often have corrosion on them which would cause high resistance and a non-start condition. You may have to sand/file them a bit to get bare metal.

autojoe
06-21-2013, 09:40 AM
check both cables at starter motor....one from battery and the one from ignition with voltmeter negative hooked to battery negative terminal and during cranking which will fully load circuit.the battery positive cable should have close to 12 volts the smaller one may have around 11-11.5 volts.

j cAT
06-21-2013, 01:10 PM
Nope truck will not jump with a jump box or another truck, solenoid has 12v!!
Where do I go from this point?? also didn't mention in my first post (slipped my mind) the wiper controls have been screwing up as well, just wondering if the column may have some issues? Could the gear selector safety switch have something going on with it?:confused:

if you have 12 volts at the starter solenoid and the engine does not crank the starter is bad. could be the motor brushes are worn out or hung up. hit the starter with a hammer not too hard see if it cranks. if so replace it.

make sure all wires and the connection from solenoid to starter motor are all tight.

Schurkey
06-22-2013, 11:00 AM
check both cables at starter motor....one from battery and the one from ignition with voltmeter negative hooked to battery negative terminal and during cranking which will fully load circuit.the battery positive cable should have close to 12 volts the smaller one may have around 11-11.5 volts.
Depends on temperature and battery condition. Minimum of about 9.5 volts, but typically 11-ish. The colder it is, the lower the voltage will be when cranking.

A defective starter can also drag the voltage down below spec, too.

Add your comment to this topic!