Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

z31 dies

HeWhoKillz
06-16-2013, 11:06 AM
I have a 85 300zx turbo 5 speed. Today I was driving along today came to a stop and took off but it felt as if I hadnt given the clutch enough gas. I came to the next stop and took off but the car died. I thought perhaps I just didn't give it any gas. I turned the music down cause I was thinking maybe I'm getting lazy. I came to the next stop and waited at the red light and the car dies again and I hadn't done anything. I started it again and drove. It was like the car wasn't getting any gas. It wasn't missing out or anything. There was a 3 second moment where the car just wasn't going, it was coasting. I turned a corner and began to downshift and the car dies again. I start it and began to realize that with the clutch pressed, the car required the gas pedal to be held down or else it would die. I get to my house and angle the car in the street so i can back it into the drive way and again, it dies. I start it and back into the drive way and stop and the car does not die. I'm guessing something fuel related. Possibly the fuel pump? If it was an injector I would think the car would sputter, but its not doing that, its just acting like its supply is shut off. What can i do? Thoughts?

jamesslcx
06-16-2013, 03:55 PM
Check fuel pressure. When was the last time you changed the fuel filter?

HeWhoKillz
06-16-2013, 07:48 PM
The fuel filter is only a year old. How do you check the fuel pressure?

jamesslcx
06-17-2013, 01:20 PM
Most auto parts houses like Auto-Zone or Advance rent fuel pressure testers. You hook it up to the fuel rail or fuel line to read the amount of fuel pressure your vehicle has. Is your check engine on? If so are there any codes? Do you ever run a fuel system cleaner? Have you ever cleaned the throttle body?

HeWhoKillz
06-20-2013, 06:35 PM
No engine light. What treatment could be run through? I'm beginning to think the gas tank is dirty or something because the day before I went on a 300 mile trip with it and it was fine. I went through a tank and a half of gas and the car usually only gets 5 or 10 miles put on it each weekend and I usually don't have to fill it up very often. And no I haven't cleaned the throttle body.

jamesslcx
06-21-2013, 01:28 PM
Run something like Techron Fuel System Cleaner through it every now and then and clean the throttle plates in the throttle body.

Add your comment to this topic!