Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

how rare are 5 speed trans' in these trucks?

gw84
06-14-2013, 07:13 PM
How rare is a 5speed manual transmission in a full size extended cab truck? silverado, cheyenne, ck1500, etc

YooperInCO
06-15-2013, 07:45 PM
I think GM/Chevy stopped selling manual transmissions after the '07 model year.

jdmccright
06-17-2013, 09:14 AM
Manual transmissions were usually limited to 6-cylinder engine installs as they were the weak link when towing/hauling and the cheapest for providing good gas mileage. To really take advantage of the truck's capabilities, an automatic tranny was required. Even the famous 454SS had an auto because no tranny in GM's inventory (save for the 6-speed Corvette's) would handle the power.

gw84
06-17-2013, 06:26 PM
Manual transmissions were usually limited to 6-cylinder engine installs as they were the weak link when towing/hauling and the cheapest for providing good gas mileage. To really take advantage of the truck's capabilities, an automatic tranny was required. Even the famous 454SS had an auto because no tranny in GM's inventory (save for the 6-speed Corvette's) would handle the power.

that's more the answer I was looking for. My '95 silverado had a manual trans (extended cab 4.3L). I have seen some 5.7's (extended cab) that had manuals as well...I'd really like to get my hands on one of those! The reason I asked is when I do see one listed on ebay, cars.com, etc. they tend to say "rare 5 speed manual" which is true to an extent. They're fairly common in single cab pickups but I don't see them often in an extended cab. Is there a good place to find production numbers?

eserigoboi
09-16-2013, 12:38 PM
I happen to have a 5 speed extended cab v8 :licka:
http://columbia.craigslist.org/cto/4061975747.html

Add your comment to this topic!