Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2004 Trailblazer, 2 issues

sloan
06-10-2013, 09:46 PM
I have a 2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer. Recently, I had to replace the fuel pump. Prior to that it had a gasoline smell and sometimes hesitated to start, like air was getting into the fuel lines. After I replaced the fuel pump, it was fine for about a week. Now, it hesitates to start like before I replaced the fuel pump. By this, I am saying that it cranks over (so no starter or battery issues), but takes excessively long to fire up. Once it is running, it tuns nice (not rough) and without hesitation on acceleration. I suspect a vacuum leak.

Today, the cruise control no longer works, as in it will not engage when I depress the on/off button on the turn signal lever arm. I suspected a fuse may have blown, but cannot locate a fuse labeled 'cruise control' anywhere on the vehicle.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

maxwedge
06-11-2013, 08:56 AM
It may be in the fuse panel under the rear seat? I would get a full scan and look for pending codes and sensor inputs, also try cleaning the throttle body. I assume you also replaced the fuel filter.

MT-2500
06-12-2013, 08:49 AM
I have a 2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer. Recently, I had to replace the fuel pump. Prior to that it had a gasoline smell and sometimes hesitated to start, like air was getting into the fuel lines. After I replaced the fuel pump, it was fine for about a week. Now, it hesitates to start like before I replaced the fuel pump. By this, I am saying that it cranks over (so no starter or battery issues), but takes excessively long to fire up. Once it is running, it tuns nice (not rough) and without hesitation on acceleration. I suspect a vacuum leak.

Today, the cruise control no longer works, as in it will not engage when I depress the on/off button on the turn signal lever arm. I suspected a fuse may have blown, but cannot locate a fuse labeled 'cruise control' anywhere on the vehicle.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

As said check for codes and check fuel pressure.
Post back any codes and fuel pressure readings.

sloan
07-06-2013, 05:09 PM
I took it in for computer diagnostic tests. No vacuum leak showed, but they said I needed to replace the cam position solenoid, thermostat, and position 2 O2 sensor. I asked the mechanic if he had any other suggestions. He said it was most likely that the fuel pump or fuel system pressure regulator was the culprit. I replaced the cam position solenoid, cam position sensor, spark plugs, and O2 sensor. The Trailblazer ran better, but still ad to crank over 10-20 times to start. I noticed that if I turned the ignition key forward just far enough to engage the fuel pump but not far enough to engage the starter, the fuel system built pressure and started right away as soon as I turned the ignition key all the way forward. I soon came to the realization that Autozone sold me a defective fuel pump. After returning the fuel pump and installing the new one, the vehicle starts first time every time. Mystery solved.

MT-2500
07-07-2013, 09:49 AM
I took it in for computer diagnostic tests. No vacuum leak showed, but they said I needed to replace the cam position solenoid, thermostat, and position 2 O2 sensor. I asked the mechanic if he had any other suggestions. He said it was most likely that the fuel pump or fuel system pressure regulator was the culprit. I replaced the cam position solenoid, cam position sensor, spark plugs, and O2 sensor. The Trailblazer ran better, but still ad to crank over 10-20 times to start. I noticed that if I turned the ignition key forward just far enough to engage the fuel pump but not far enough to engage the starter, the fuel system built pressure and started right away as soon as I turned the ignition key all the way forward. I soon came to the realization that Autozone sold me a defective fuel pump. After returning the fuel pump and installing the new one, the vehicle starts first time every time. Mystery solved.

How did you figure out bad fuel pump?

If it was a airtex pump chances are it will go bad again soon.

Add your comment to this topic!