Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

The ABS light is on

Robmoo
06-10-2013, 03:26 PM
On my 2005 3.3L Grand Caravan the ABS light keeping coming on. I inspected the sensors for the front and used my compressor to give them a quick puff of air to get rid of dust. The light went off for about 5 days. Now it is back on.

How does one read ABS codes? If I knew for sure that the problem is a speed sensor and which one I could clean or replace the faulty sensor.

If I clean to sensor are there any special precautions I need to take? As far as I could see they didn't look very dirty.

Thanks,

Rob

RIP
06-10-2013, 03:39 PM
You read ABS codes with an ABS capable scanner. Should cost around $200. You could check resistance through the internal coils with an ohmmeter. Just two contacts on the connector. You should see some resistance but not sure what. An open or short means it's toast. Compare the 4 and if one is vastly different that may be your culprit. Course with the intermittent nature it may be just a loose or dirty connection.

Is it heat related meaning does the light come on after driving a distance or does it have a mind of it's own?

Here's some examples. You want a scanner that can read multiple code sets and not just ABS:http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=abs%20scanner&sprefix=abs+sca%2Caps&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aabs%20scanner

Add your comment to this topic!