Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Rusted jack points

la1
06-10-2013, 01:52 PM
I use the 4 jack points that you use for the jack that comes with the car for jack stands when I jack my car up. One looked flakey rust. When the full weight was on the jack stand, the jack stand pushed through with a crunch sound. I beleive a rocker panel transplant will fix this. Found several web sites that have new rocker panels, a few with stainless steel so it wont happen again. There are a few "how to's" on you tubE although nothing for a W Body...has anyone done it here. I always wanted to weld... can get a mig welder ... how difficult, probably will have to weld upside down LOL.

j cAT
06-11-2013, 07:11 AM
I use the 4 jack points that you use for the jack that comes with the car for jack stands when I jack my car up. One looked flakey rust. When the full weight was on the jack stand, the jack stand pushed through with a crunch sound. I beleive a rocker panel transplant will fix this. Found several web sites that have new rocker panels, a few with stainless steel so it wont happen again. There are a few "how to's" on you tubE although nothing for a W Body...has anyone done it here. I always wanted to weld... can get a mig welder ... how difficult, probably will have to weld upside down LOL.

I would grind down the metal see how bad it is then get some 1/4inch thick steel plates cut off to the proper size and weld into place. no stainless steel .. just regular steel. then I would use a rust proofing product like rustfre and brush on 3 coats of this product to prevent any future problems.

just make sure before welding that the opposite side is free from the damaging welding heat .

la1
06-11-2013, 09:30 AM
just make sure before welding that the opposite side is free from the damaging welding heat

thanks for the reply , opposite side ? I am just learning to MIG weld, more details needed.

j cAT
06-11-2013, 10:04 AM
thanks for the reply , opposite side ? I am just learning to MIG weld, more details needed.

when ever your welding you must be sure that the heat generated will not damage the plastics/interior components/wiring. just because you welding under the vehicle the inside of the vehicle will get hot if the metal being welded is part of the flooring .

la1
06-12-2013, 07:34 AM
when ever your welding you must be sure that the heat generated will not damage the plastics/interior components/wiring

probably will be just the rocker panel, for future reference...if i did need to weld such an area is there a way to disipate the heat or just remove the carpet/plastic?

just learned the other night that MIG welding using flux ( i will be doing this outside) the flux apparently bleeds through paint that is applied over the weld. Is there anyway to remove the flux after the weld?

j cAT
06-12-2013, 03:03 PM
probably will be just the rocker panel, for future reference...if i did need to weld such an area is there a way to disipate the heat or just remove the carpet/plastic?

just learned the other night that MIG welding using flux ( i will be doing this outside) the flux apparently bleeds through paint that is applied over the weld. Is there anyway to remove the flux after the weld?

remove the materials on the inside of the vehicle in the weld area. lift off the metal. have some water wet rags to cool off after the weld.

after welding grind the weld down and use some acid to clean the area of any flux crap. then coat the weld with a good mineral based rust proofing brush on material.

clean up other frame member areas of rust and use the rust proofing there as well.

Add your comment to this topic!