Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

replacing headrest?

gw84
05-22-2013, 08:52 AM
is it possible to replace the headrest on these trucks? 99 k1500. The headrest is "broken" and hangs to the back, I tried pulling it up to pull it out but it stops at the end and I don't see a release button.

gw84
05-24-2013, 08:56 PM
anybody?

Tech II
05-25-2013, 09:50 AM
If it is like the cars, need a special tool to slide down he rod to push the retainer so it slides out......don't work on too many trucks, but usually the rear seat back covering comes loose and you can slide it up to see the tubes that the rods ride it....them you can move the retainer at the bottom of the tube, to get the head rest out.....

The way these retainers work vary from model to model and year to year....it some cases, there is a plastic collar at the top of the seat where the rod slides down and there is a pin hole where you just insert a pick to depress the retainer to get the head rest out......

gw84
05-25-2013, 12:10 PM
If it is like the cars, need a special tool to slide down he rod to push the retainer so it slides out......don't work on too many trucks, but usually the rear seat back covering comes loose and you can slide it up to see the tubes that the rods ride it....them you can move the retainer at the bottom of the tube, to get the head rest out.....

The way these retainers work vary from model to model and year to year....it some cases, there is a plastic collar at the top of the seat where the rod slides down and there is a pin hole where you just insert a pick to depress the retainer to get the head rest out......

I think the last part you said might be right, there are tiny pin holes on each of the rod "collars" as you called them. I will give that a try, thank you!

Add your comment to this topic!