Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2006 R&R engine

bowtiefly
05-18-2013, 05:06 PM
Hi All,

Looking to get some input on changinf engines in a 2006 Express van. I've got the new used motor in the shop, the next step seems a bit more complicated.

Anyone ever done one of these? any tips? The biggest issue I see off the top of my head is that there is almost no room between the top of the intake and the firewall to do any sort of lifting. I've read that lifting the body off the frame first is actually easier. I don't have a full lift but I do have a couple chain hoist points I could do this with if its worth it.

I'll start pulling back trim and plastic the next few evenings and will post some pictures as work progresses.

Thanks,
Doug

MT-2500
05-19-2013, 08:09 AM
Hi All,

Looking to get some input on changinf engines in a 2006 Express van. I've got the new used motor in the shop, the next step seems a bit more complicated.

Anyone ever done one of these? any tips? The biggest issue I see off the top of my head is that there is almost no room between the top of the intake and the firewall to do any sort of lifting. I've read that lifting the body off the frame first is actually easier. I don't have a full lift but I do have a couple chain hoist points I could do this with if its worth it.

I'll start pulling back trim and plastic the next few evenings and will post some pictures as work progresses.

Thanks,
Doug

You are looking at about 20 hrs flat rate labor.
You will need a cheery picker type engine hoist.
Remove grill and rad. and front of van.
Most of the time you will have to lower th top of engine.
By Removing tb and upper intake and dist. and exc.

bowtiefly
05-26-2013, 11:39 AM
Hello All,

Project is under way. after two days digging at it on and off (maybe 4 or 5 hours total) I found the engine...

The two ways I understand this can happen is 1 remove intake or 2 remove the body. I was thinking I could so somthing in between and remove all but the back two body bolts and just lift the body off the frame enough to get the cherry picker over the intake. But now I'm thinking remove the intake since all of the electric is attached to the intake I think I can just remove it and lay it out of the way.

My worry right now is the intake seal. Is there a trick to getting and making sure this is sealed?

Thanks,
Doug

bowtiefly
05-26-2013, 07:40 PM
Got in a couple more hours today, did all the bottom side work. its pretty much ready to pick out, just need to figure out how I want to get the electric harness apart. and how I can get the lift in there. It looks like there might be a good 6" the engine can come down when the mounts are removed.

MT-2500
05-27-2013, 06:28 AM
Got in a couple more hours today, did all the bottom side work. its pretty much ready to pick out, just need to figure out how I want to get the electric harness apart. and how I can get the lift in there. It looks like there might be a good 6" the engine can come down when the mounts are removed.

Remove intake and run the cheery picker lift over engine and hookup real close.

DeltaP
05-27-2013, 09:19 AM
Might I add to get it up high on jackstands so you can get a straighter shot in there and not have to fight the cherry picker against the top of the tunnel. Remove the intake and chain up close as MT says.

bowtiefly
05-27-2013, 06:30 PM
still hacking along...

Well I have the engine almost out. for the amount of time it took to get the intake off as long as it seals up good that will be the best way to do this for sure.

What I ended up doing was a jack under the oil pan in the back of the motor and the hoist at the front. I can get it almost all of the way out of the tunnel from there. then I can set it on the cross members and reposition the hoist and get it the rest of the way out. I need to remove either the exhuast manifolds or the emgine mounts. the mounts are only three bolts each, so mounts it will be. I sprayed them down with is PB buster and will let them sit over night, they aren't that badly rusted but I was pretty much out of time for the day anyway.

I did make what could be a killer mistake. I got a little impaitent getting the engine and trans to split and trying to see what was going on I pried a little bit and pop... the ear broke off. I'm hoping I can get it welded, but I'm not sure you can weld cast aluminum. if not its going to be some JB weld and move on. Getting these to split was a huge pain in the ......

MT-2500
05-28-2013, 06:43 AM
still hacking along...

Well I have the engine almost out. for the amount of time it took to get the intake off as long as it seals up good that will be the best way to do this for sure.

What I ended up doing was a jack under the oil pan in the back of the motor and the hoist at the front. I can get it almost all of the way out of the tunnel from there. then I can set it on the cross members and reposition the hoist and get it the rest of the way out. I need to remove either the exhuast manifolds or the emgine mounts. the mounts are only three bolts each, so mounts it will be. I sprayed them down with is PB buster and will let them sit over night, they aren't that badly rusted but I was pretty much out of time for the day anyway.

I did make what could be a killer mistake. I got a little impaitent getting the engine and trans to split and trying to see what was going on I pried a little bit and pop... the ear broke off. I'm hoping I can get it welded, but I'm not sure you can weld cast aluminum. if not its going to be some JB weld and move on. Getting these to split was a huge pain in the ......

Looks like you forge to remove the transmission to engine bolt:nono::nono:

From your picture of hoist hooked to engine you need to get the hoist hooked down closer to engine.

Good luck

MT-2500
05-28-2013, 06:45 AM

From your picture of hoist hooked to engine you need to get the hoist hooked down closer to engine.

Good luck

On sealing the intake back on engine see if your parts place has a problem solver steel rubber backed gasket set for it.

DeltaP
05-28-2013, 05:43 PM

Good luck

And chained up front to rear as well. Yer gonna do alot of damage dragging it out like this. You wont get the "new" engine IN this way.

bowtiefly
05-28-2013, 07:58 PM
Its out!!

Other then getitng it to seperate from the trans this worked pretty well for getting it out. I had to reset the hoist twice and the jack once but it came out. I used the hoist for the front and the jack for the back sliding the lower part of the oil pan up and over the cross member then set the whole thing down and reset the hoist with the leveler and out it came.

I couldn't figure out how to chain it up close from both the front and back. I'm thinking I'll drill a hole in the center of the leveler to just hook it up once, maybe a little closer to the back and use a strap on the front over the top of the hoist arm to tip it up or down. or maybe I'll get a couple other pieces of steal and drill them through so one can go on each side of the hoist.

Any advide on welding the trans case? anyone ever had one welded? how did it turn out?

bowtiefly
05-30-2013, 02:58 PM

Trans is fixed up and ready to put in. $60 for the repair, not the worst thing I've every done. getting ready for the weekend install.

bowtiefly
06-01-2013, 10:32 PM
Well the trans and engine are re-installed and bolted down, got a bunch of the underside work done as well. I have a few hours tommorrow, hoping to get the electrical back in place.

The angle iron bracket worked perfectly, engine went right in no problems.

I'll try and post some pics as well, not working for me for some reason tonight.

bowtiefly
06-05-2013, 08:20 PM

Here's the pictures from the weekend.

The van is back together now and running now. Runs great, started right up. I have a couple things I need to go back and look at, looks like the thermosat is stuck and there's a small trans fluid leak that looks like it could be from one of the lines. But all in all I'm really happy with how it all turned out.

Thanks to all for their advice along the way, all very helpful in getting the job done.

Add your comment to this topic!