Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

front speakers don't work

gw84
05-17-2013, 11:04 PM
93 chev lumina. My front passenger side speaker hasn't worked since the day I got this car over 10 years ago. The driver side speaker worked intermittently until recently going out completely. I went to the salvage yard today and bought a new [used] speaker in hopes of solving the problem (at least having 1 working front speaker would be great!). I plugged it in and still nothing. That is the 2nd time I've tried another speaker. I also tried swapping the speakers around, no luck. How can to tell if my speakers are bad or if it's the wiring or another issue? BTW my front speakers are 4x6s (if not smaller) and I believe my rears are 5x7 (i'm not an audio guy so IDK what the standard sizes are). Can I take the small front speakers and hook them to the wiring in the back to see if they work back there? Likewise can I take the larger rear speakers and connect them to the wiring up front to see if they work up there? Will I damage anything by doing this?

PaulD
05-21-2013, 10:19 AM
do you have a multimeter? If so, see if one of the speakers is shorted out (with doors open AND closed). It also might be that the headuint amp is fried.

gw84
05-23-2013, 05:48 AM
yes i can do that. The connection between the speakers and the wire is via a plastic connector, is there any way to check the wiring itself? Speakers are in the dash, not the doors (forgot to mention that earlier I guess)

PaulD
05-23-2013, 08:59 AM
pull the speaker out a little and measure accross the terminals (in ohms lowest setting)

CaneWhite
07-03-2013, 05:55 AM
Do you have a stock head unit or an aftermarket? That is very strange becuase the tweeters and the door speakers are on the same channel

gw84
07-30-2013, 09:04 PM
Do you have a stock head unit or an aftermarket? That is very strange becuase the tweeters and the door speakers are on the same channel

sorry I didn't update sooner, so many spam posts here.
radio is aftermarket (fairly new). As I may or may not have mentioned, the front speakers haven't worked in a long time. I've gotten different (used) speakers and tried them with no luck. There are no speakers in the doors, just the one's in the dash (They're pretty small, 3x5 maybe)

Add your comment to this topic!