Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

92 Accord ABS Problem

richkuan
05-14-2013, 10:12 PM
Pros,

The ABS is acting up sometimes. It activates when I am not braking, or it resets itself from time to time, or I can hear it making some noise (d d d d d d d d ....) from time to time. And the brake light doesn't come up.

Anyone knows what's wrong and how to fix it? Thanks.

65comet
05-15-2013, 07:29 AM
I haven't had to touch the brakes on the 93 Accord I picked up last fall, so I'm not exactly sure that they work the same as others I've worked on. But here are some things to check based on my experience with other cars. A square toothed ring rotates with the axle. A magnetic sensor reads the teeth to tell the rotation speed. The ring can crack and open up, creating a larger gap between teeth that confuses the sensor. A tooth can also be broken off. The sensor, because it is magnetized, can get a buildup of metal dust and shavings on it, causing it to not read correctly. These are the simple things from a visual inspection. Most other problems need to be diagnosed with a brake scan tool.

ProMan
06-07-2013, 01:16 PM
Does the brake warning light ON? Can you read any error code?

richkuan
07-31-2013, 12:09 PM
Does the brake warning light ON? Can you read any error code?

Sorry for the late reply. I just would like to update the status.

Problem solved!!

Yes, the ABS light came on from time to time, when it's on, the random reset and activation was gone. I believe the ABS got disabled.

I checked the code, it's 44, RR ABS sensor. I cleaned the teeth and sensor head. The teeth are clean, the head had some debris, but no good. Then I went ahead checked the wiring. When I unplugged connector, I noticed the sensor side is kind of rusted. So I use sand paper to polish the 2 leads, and ABS is back to normal!!:smile:

Thanks for your help.

Add your comment to this topic!